Road bike size help?

heathy

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Would i be right in thinking that, if i wanted a road bike and ride a 19" frame MTB i would need a 58cm frame.
I am 6ft if that helps.

It's agood starting point. I'm 6' and ride a 57. With a road bike you will be told that length is more important than height. I had a ride on my old Alan and it felt huge. I almost got vertigo and I dread to think how many thousands of miles I did on it BiTD.

You can get DVDs and computer programs that guide you through it these days. Worth it if you are spending a fortune on a bike.

Great, i have my eye on a 58cm road bike at the mo ;)
I think its about time i did some road stuff, purely for fitness, honest ;)

A 58ish should suit you fine Heathy, i've just got a 57cm and it's spot on for me :cool:

edit: maybe you should've posted this in the new road bike section ;)

I find sizing very difficult. My Giant SCR C4 road bike is marked as a 50cm/Medium for heights 5'7" to 5'11". They obviously have their own sizing system as I'm 5'9" and need a 54cm according to generic sizing charts. If you can I'd get along to a bike shop that will let you try different size frames on an ergo. Evans cycles do this for free.

As mike says sizing a compact is slightly different.

However assuming standard geometry a 58 c-c will be a good start for someone 6 ft tall. Don't forget you'll need a flat 13 stem - anything less is 'unproffessional'.

My Klein Q is 55cm.......I thought it would be a bit on the wee side, but if felt ok. I'm 6' but do have shortish legs in comparison to my torso. when I did the measuring and sizing thing using the Hinault/Genzling guide, it came out as 55cm spot on!!

If yer shellin' out a lot of moolah for a brand new bike, definitely have a try of a few different sizes and setups.

Hi Heathy,

Go into a shop and try one for size it will give you the best idea. You could always go for a crosser and you can have the best of both worlds :cool:...................especially if you shout "go on the beard" at a someone in a car you could make a quick getaway down the trails :LOL:

Lysander":fgn46rux said:
My Klein Q is 55cm.......I thought it would be a bit on the wee side, but if felt ok. I'm 6' but do have shortish legs in comparison to my torso. when I did the measuring and sizing thing using the Hinault/Genzling guide, it came out as 55cm spot on!!

If yer shellin' out a lot of moolah for a brand new bike, definitely have a try of a few different sizes and setups.

Woo, I'm a tad less than 5'8" and I ride a 54cm road bike. Maybe mine is too big? :? Or you really do have very short legs :

Inside leg in inches deduct 10" and that is your ideal (traditional) frame size, personally I like to deduct 11" though.

Back