Tour De France winners bikes

I could have bought a pair of the 'drop-in' bars the other day but when I tried them in my hands there was hardly any room for my hands on the straight part of the drop before the 'inward bend' started. Therefore I didn't bother as I thought they were uncomfortable. Made for Scott by 3T probably.

pigman":dzdksx3s said:
ededwards":dzdksx3s said:
...+ shiny bar ribbon ....l
its Benotto, boy, not "shiney bar ribbon". Now go and stand in the corner

Going off-topic...I could be wrong but isn't "bar ribbon" another general term for "bar tape"?

IIRC the padded plastic tape was actually "Bike Ribbon", name of both the company and the tape.

The tape on Lemond's bike does look like Benotto (or Benotto type) tape though.

fiks":24v7aic8 said:
pigman":24v7aic8 said:
ededwards":24v7aic8 said:
...+ shiny bar ribbon ....l
its Benotto, boy, not "shiney bar ribbon". Now go and stand in the corner

Going off-topic...I could be wrong but isn't "bar ribbon" another general term for "bar tape"?

IIRC the padded plastic tape was actually "Bike Ribbon", name of both the company and the tape.

The tape on Lemond's bike does look like Benotto (or Benotto type) tape though.

Yep and Sellotape is a brand name, as is Tippex, Hoover, iPod etc. Back in the room.....

A few more photos here (probably from non Tour winning years I expect :evil: ) although you can't make out the bikes too well as so many shots are head on.

Attachments

• hinault 82tdf5.jpg
    hinault 82tdf5.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,934
  • fignon_l4 reduced.jpg
    fignon_l4 reduced.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,934
  • Merckx large2.jpg
    Merckx large2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,934

this is actually Lemond's 83 team bike, but it's similar to Fignon's 83 Tour bike:

The-bike-LeMond-rode-at-the.jpg

Tagged-and-put-away-by-LeMo.jpg

The-front-end.jpg

Stronglight-cranks---French.jpg

Note it doesn't have Campag parts.

Joop Zoetemelk, 1980 Tour de France Winner riding for TI-Raleigh Campagnolo.

You can't see much of his wheels in the first pic but it would have been like the one in the second pic.

Still my favourite Team colours for a bike.

Attachments

• ti_raleigh.jpg
    ti_raleigh.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,601
  • joop_zoetemelk.jpg
    joop_zoetemelk.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,601
Old Ned":1ny4e6xl said:
I could have bought a pair of the 'drop-in' bars the other day

There's a pair hung up in my garage doing absolutely nothing (42CM), they were on my Dyna-Tech for years!

Click on pic to enlarge/open

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
There was an ebay seller called the pro's closet too, had a lot of ex team stuff. I remember alot of disco stuff went a couple of years ago too, the giro TT hats were particullarly hot IIRC.

Latest posts

Back