1990 Puch Scout (was: What do I have??)

well said

Senri":g62m203y said:
I am really sorry if I offended someone with this inferieur bike.... ;)
But seriously, as I stated before, I build and ride my bikes only for myself. I am a bit surprised though, by some of the responses, and I have read them before in other threads as well. I have been in the classic car scene for a long time. You have people restoring and/or driving Ferrari's and people restoring and driving Lada's and everything in between and I have seldom seen any sarcasm about each other. As I said before, I am probably more a builder then a rider and when I have finished something I show it. I never stated this is a very good bike, neither when it was sold or now, it is purely personal taste.
I am a big boy with a thick skin, but don't you think it is a bit harse if someone spent blood, sweat and tears and not to forget cash restoring (or however you want to call it) a bike, some of the responses are "...those bikes were really pieces of crap...."?
So, that is of my chest, just forget it. :LOL:

Well said fella :cool: I personally like your bike. I remember these from back in the day and it was time of making frames in some quirky and daring configurations.

I would rather be riding something different like your puch than a stereo-typical everyday bike from ONE of the clicky big brands ;)

Hat off to you.

I remember these being sold out in the MBUK mags, top of the range had pinky/red instead of green and was fully xt equipped for under 400 quid, great price when you consider that was the price of an xt groupset and was half the price of any other xt equipped machine out there at the time. oh - and it was the only time i had seen 4 finger sti combined break levers :?

nice to see someone looking after the more 'socially unaccepted' looking retro bikes :)

erkan":13557j99 said:
That bike was a Bianchi in Sweden, heavy crap bike IMHO, however it is a clone of the Mantis valkyrie so maybe it is a hidden gem (with exage groupo).
Bianchi is a no-name brand nowadays, partly (or fully?) owned by the same italian guy who owns Swedish Crescent/Monark bike-co.... But since when?

Steyr-Daimler-Puch is an awesome company though, bad-ass 4x4- and weaponry-tech - and also Exage-300 equpped bikes? :?

The question is if it's as reliable as a Steyr-AUG 5.56 or a Pinzgauer truck..? I'm pretty sure you won't stand a chance riding that bike against a guy with a Steyr-AUG standing on top of a Pinzgauer though...:LOL:

Wikipedia":13557j99 said:
The company was founded as Josef und Franz Werndl and Company in 1864 as a rifle manufacturer, but became known as Steyr-Werke AG in 1924. The company began producing bicycles in 1894, and Steyr automobiles in 1915.
They've been into bikes for a while though...

OT: When did you get humble, Erkan? ;)

Senri":3h2fydde said:
I am really sorry if I offended someone with this inferieur bike.... ;)
But seriously, as I stated before, I build and ride my bikes only for myself. I am a bit surprised though, by some of the responses, and I have read them before in other threads as well. I have been in the classic car scene for a long time. You have people restoring and/or driving Ferrari's and people restoring and driving Lada's and everything in between and I have seldom seen any sarcasm about each other. As I said before, I am probably more a builder then a rider and when I have finished something I show it. I never stated this is a very good bike, neither when it was sold or now, it is purely personal taste.
I am a big boy with a thick skin, but don't you think it is a bit harse if someone spent blood, sweat and tears and not to forget cash restoring (or however you want to call it) a bike, some of the responses are "...those bikes were really pieces of crap...."?
So, that is of my chest, just forget it. :LOL:
From 2000-2005 I restored an old Land Rover a year... When I started people looked at my like I were crazy (wich of coarse is a totally correct asumption) but when the thing was finished, everybody changed attitude - and started thinking about buying Land Rover Defender - which of coarse is even more insane than restoring an old one...

I have a lot of stories about restoring land Rovers, all very dull, so I conclude by saying, it's cheeper playing with bikesn... :D

We're all still insane though... :roll:

Farmfield":2mk1ar1o said:
Bianchi is a no-name brand nowadays, partly (or fully?) owned by the same italian guy who owns Swedish Crescent/Monark bike-co.... But since when?
Steyr-Daimler-Puch is an awesome company though, bad-ass 4x4- and weaponry-tech - and also Exage-300 equpped bikes? :?
Well, I just picked up the same bike e.g. the same frame with the same Exage 300LX groupset with Biopace, but that one is branded Bianchi (model Pholcus ). Bianchi took over Puch in 1987.
I just bought mine in a nearly mint state, not a scratch on the groupset. The person I bought it from had it stored 20 odd years, after taking it for a spin or 3 to find out 'naah, not me this is'.
But I really dislike the coulours on mine (purple-ish black with spiderwebs - the webs 'refer' to the frames that were called 'ragna' which means web). I was thinking about a respray in the obvious celeste. Do or don't?
I don't know if I should consider this bike as a keeper that should stay original, or as a muck-around plaything that can get massacred on the altar of good taste. First I thought to convert it to a SS, but the group is in such good shape that I think it a waste to dump it...
Wen I get it cleaned up a little I'll try and post some pics.

My Bianchi was a 1992 Bianchi Thomisus and had the Biopace on thoes days.

This was a very special Bike on my opinion, I loved mine, I even done some Downhill races on thoes days with this due to lack of €xp€nsiv€ and good Bike :) but was really confortable Frame to ride.

That frame is made in a way to bend thoes chainstays but a quite heavy in overhaul, not shure not about the kind of material was made.
The rear braking is amazing and one of my bests ever riden on Retro Bikes beside Maguras(cant be compared due to the system).
I loved the Biopace also ;)
The most dificult and a reason for given away the Bike was because I could not get a good 1" suspension Fork(didnt knew about RetroBike then!! :( )

In Portugal the name of the Bike painted on the Frame and known was the Thomisus, on thoes days costed me €450 something... on todays and Crap Euro whatever so was a medium cost MTB Bike.

Mine was that Purple/Black with the spider webs and I liked it, the paint was very resistent and nice web details on my opinion and taste of thoes days :)
So I hope now that you didnt paint yours :)

That is one seriously funky looking bike :D

Big thumbs up to someone who has restored something different and that isn't mainstream. Who cares if it isn't a tricked out ultra-bike - it's got character by the bucketfull! What an utterly bonkers frame design!

:shock: Love it, the colour and the oddness.

Would love to take that round somewhere like Cannock chase in England to see the faces on the bike snobs as you puff up the hill :LOL:

On the bad bike front I have just got back from a ride on a 1989 Raleigh Cobra, great fun. :cool:

Back