They're like buses, those RC100s...

pete_mcc

Feature Bike
BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Just for DrS, here's a few snaps of my latest squeeze now that I've finished the renovation and rebuild. Frame came from Chris, but had just a few too many scratches and scrapes and the forks were black (just not Pace-y enough for me) so it was a full respray all over the shop

Everything is NOS and is as factory as possible, down to the Cateye 'snake' toestraps and yellow/green bolts throughout. My only deviations were the top tube cable guides (crap plastic replaced with Raymond Moles CNCed alloy), the tyres and the as yet un-milled Maguras (can't bring myself to cut a NOS set of Hydrostop levers)

The colour is a load more eyepopping than appears in the photos, almost like the yellow on the Brawn cars, real 80s stuff.

enjoy!

Big pic here: http://images.fotopic.net/?id=59567467&noresize=1

yzgox9.jpg

yzgoxu.jpg

yzgoxx.jpg

yzgoxv.jpg

yzgoxz.jpg

RC30 Forks
yzgoj1.jpg

90mm BB and asymetric rear end with dishless wheel
yzgoxl.jpg

Pace hubs
yzgox0.jpg
yzgoj2.jpg

Pace Bullseyes

yzgojy.jpg

And the cutting edge (for 88 when it was first introduced by Pace) aheadset made from a machined out xc-pro headset. Headset is tensioned under the fork clamp and then the clamp is tightened to lock everything - all you need is a 10mm spanner and a 5mm allen key to adjust the headset.

yzgo6q.jpg
yzgo6r.jpg

That makes my efforts seem so half hearted...

Great work, amazing original features on that bike. Like a lot. :D

Crikey :shock: , That is spotless, looks better than new.

Do you have any pics of how you got it and any work progress, would be very keen to see as an awful lot of effort and attention to detail has obviously been grafted on this masterpeice.

Loving it :cool:(who wouldn't)

Gravy Monster":2g80hcdw said:
Crikey :shock: , That is spotless, looks better than new.

Do you have any pics of how you got it and any work progress, would be very keen to see as an awful lot of effort and attention to detail has obviously been grafted on this masterpeice.

Loving it :cool:(who wouldn't)

It'd probably be more useful for you to see my inbox! There are hundreds of mails to and from people all over the world getting these bits.

Toe clips and straps: Sidekick Jeff in Singapore
Bottle cage: Loose parts in US
Renthals: Old school friend in Dorking who worked in Venhill
XC-Pro rear mech: Kult-Mountainbike.de Andre in Germany
Sachs Sedis Chain: France
Bolts: That London
Block: Oz
Grips: Direct from Grab-on in the states
Saddle: US
Countersunk imperial bolts for Bullies: Canada
Reynolds decals: good old UK
Rear Rim: Manitou916 in Cambridge
Front Rim: Sinnetti
Hubs: Ex-Pace team hubs with 28/32 spokes from Rob (on here)
Chainsuck thing: Toons
Cranks: From Chris via DrS' engineering surgery
Raymond Mole (Damian) sorted me with the guides and the pedal cages (cheers fella!)

The frame kit came from Chris (ne Cjax) and was in pretty good nick, but it was a little tired for me and I really wanted the classic yellow and grey, so I got the guys at Argos to source the fluoro yellow (which, if anyone else is going to get one done, they still have an amount of in stock) and colour match the grey (I think it's their Grigio colour). They did a superb job, everything just glows like new - you really can't fault it at all!

Looked like this:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42956

It's taken a good number of months of searching for the smallest part (even the grease nipples have been replaced) but as always it's been so much fun!
Except for the paint which needed an expert touch, where ever possible I did the work - I built the wheels, serviced the maguras, pressed the bearings, Riv-nutted a new bottle cage mount (after I broke one...) and loved every second. Sure it's not as involved as DrS', that's a different league and I leave the 10 page build threads to guys like him who genuinely do do everything themselves, and I doth my cap to him as I know how hard this was so his must have been 10 x so!

Cheers for that Pete, The yellow route is worth it, brings the whole bike to life that bit more. And some good hunting done there too !

Yeah, its not bad I supose. Not a bad effort.

;)
Absolutely top of the table mate, a real credit to you and every bit as nice as mine.

Could we have a close up of Raymonds Cable guides?? Still have not resolved the issues with mine yet.

Si

Dr S":1m41isqu said:
Absolutely top of the table mate, a real credit to you and every bit as nice as mine.

Could we have a close up of Raymonds Cable guides?? Still have not resolved the issues with mine yet.

Si

Cheers mate!

Here's Raymonds guides:

yzgoxe.jpg

yzgoxq.jpg

I was torn between these and pop riveting the old ones back on, but brittle plastic is brittle plastic and it's probably even worse if I tried to rivet it so these beauts won. If you want to keep the look, why not go for silver guides with grey zip ties?

Back