The official BONDED BICYCLE thread !

I remember being obsessed about the bonded frame Trek 8000s in '89/'90.

My mate had a 1989 MS Racing bonded alumium MTB frame, and also a 1988 TVT carbon tube/alloy lug bonded frame (with full Record - Delgado replica bike!). I think he still has them, but I lost touch with him over a decade ago !

But I remember my mate Nick breaking the bonded seatstay wishbone on a '90 Raleigh Dynatech road bike. He got a new frame on warranty, and broke that a few months later in the same place ! He also broke an Alpinestar MTB on the downtube where the elevated chainstay are welded to it - perhaps he was a little heavy for them !

John":10j9ebjk said:
Some great lookin' bikes. Had an early 90s bonded allez bitd, sadly no pics.

Always a bit wary about bonded frames, rightly or wrongly. Anyone ever actually had one failed?

I've said before but don't mind saying again, I'm sure my Alan has started to fail. The fork crown had to be bolted by Hotta and some time later the tubes going into the BB started to move. Next time I'm up in the loft I will bring it down to photograph and add to this thread.

I was up there sooner than expected. I am opening another thread trying to work out is age.

Attachments

• Alan_Side (600 x 445).jpg
    Alan_Side (600 x 445).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 6,660
My Newfound Baby

I bought it 2 summers ago, its my first road bike and Ive put over 3000 miles on it. needles to say I love it.

Specialized 1990 Allez Epic carbon tubed aluminum lug frame
Dura Ace drive train
Shimano WH-R535 wheels
105 Brakes & rear mech
Sachs Levers
Ritchey pedals

Changing seat and seat post soon, more pics to follow.

*looking for a set of Specialized FACT carbon Tri Spoke wheels, any info is good info

Attachments

• specialized allez epic.JPG
    specialized allez epic.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 6,642
  • DSC00349.JPG
    DSC00349.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 6,633
Nice bike, quite desirable these days.

I see you have Shimano WH-R535 wheels. I have a pair which I was going to use for Time Trialling on - but I can't get any decent tyres onto them. I've tried Michelins and Vittoria folders but they're to tight to go over the rims, even just one side! What are you using and have you found a similar problem?

Thanks, I picked up the bike about 2 years ago on Ebay at a great deal. made it my own by replacing the fork, seat post, seat, bars and of course wheels. I love the 535s, most people say they flex like crazy but I'm rather light at 130lbs and have never had a problem. They are a real pain to get tires on I think the wheels were made a little bigger than 700c. Right now I've got a Specialized Team Turbo on the front and a Michelin Orium on the rear both 700x23. The Orium was next to impossible to get on so I put a puncture proof tube in so I wouldn't have to get back in there. the Specialized went on rather well and I'm in the process of looking for another set of the Team Turbos as the ones Ive got have more than 3000 miles on them. One day I'll perfect this bike with a set of '93 FACT carbon Specialized tri spokes. They're getting harder to find these days but the HED3 ones aren't the same carbon weave and clash with the frame (not to mention being about $500 more expensive).

1984 Alan Super Record Carbonio

I believe that this is a 1984(?) Alan Super Record Carbonio. As of yet, no problems with the frame. I'm not the original owner however, and I suspect it's seen few miles. I did see an identical frame on Ebay where the chainstays had pulled out of the bottom bracket lug. The carbon tubes were not broken however, and I suppose it would have been possible to reglue/bond the chainstays.

ALAN-7471.jpg

ALAN-7436.jpg

ALAN-7476.jpg

ALAN-7441.jpg

ALAN-7445.jpg

Back