1990 Puch Scout (was: What do I have??)

I was actually in the process of uploading full-bike pics, but I think you are right! FluffyChicken, what do you think it is?

O and btw, Cannibal, no harm done. I am often put down my own projects, but it actually doesn't matter. I like the odd bikes and as long as I enjoy them, as well riding as building, I couldn't care less if it was originally from the supermarket. I am in no sense a professional rider, and I really doubt if I really benefit from any expensive stuff on my weekend rides. I am a technical guy and less of sportsguy...
I am happy we are all different in that, that makes the builds and likings here so diverse!

I know because I cheated, not because I actually knew what the frame was.

Can't think of anything for the brand (other than possible now related to a Vespa ???)

Model ... dyb dyb dyb dob dob dob ...

FluffyChicken":3kil04q2 said:
I know because I cheated, not because I actually knew what the frame was.

Can't think of anything for the brand (other than possible now related to a Vespa ???)

Model ... dyb dyb dyb dob dob dob ...

I was already afraid for that...... :LOL:

Well, here it is. I bought this just because I liked it. It was ment as a low budget resto, ment to stay below 100 euro in total, but I doubt that I made that. Although, it is pretty heavy, I am really satisfied with it and if it rides really well, I will consider a new paintjob.
DSCN3167sm.jpg

Originally, it had a Exage 300LX group on it, but I upgraded it, also to save some weight. it is now 1.3kg less!
DSCN3170sm.jpg

DSCN3175sm.jpg

Here the specs:
Frame: 1990 Puch Scout (Oria Chrome Moly tubing), 54cm

Fork: Puch Scout

Headset: [stock]
Stem: Italmanubri [stock]
Handlebar: old Raleigh
Grips: Ritchey WCS

Brakes front: Deore LX (M550)
Brakes back: XT-U660 U-brake
Brake Pads: BBB Tristop
Brake Cables: BBB Stopline
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Deore DX (M071)

Shifters: Deore DX
Front Derailleur: Deore LX (M550)
Rear Derailleur: Deore LX (M550
Derailleur Cables: BBB
Cassette: HG70 7 speed
Chain: HG70
Cranks: Deore XT (M770)
Chainrings: BBB Rundabout
Bottom Bracket: UN-54 107mm (thanks for the tip FluffyChicken!)
Pedals: BBB Mountainhigh

Hub Skewers: Alu Ebay set
Rims: Ontario Ambrosio
Hubs: Exage 300LX
Tyres: IRC MythosXC

Saddle: Selle Royal
Seatpost: Kalloy
Seatpost Binder: Alu ebay set

Weight: 14.2kg (31.3lbs)

I reckon that bikes a factory mistake !

Surely they were making a batch of mixte frames and some fool brazed the seat stays on in the wrong place :roll:

"Quick Klaus say its the latest mtb design from head office and nobody will be any the wiser" ;)

Don't respray, it looks fine as it is :D

That bike was a Bianchi in Sweden, heavy crap bike IMHO, however it is a clone of the Mantis valkyrie so maybe it is a hidden gem (with exage groupo).

I am really sorry if I offended someone with this inferieur bike.... ;)
But seriously, as I stated before, I build and ride my bikes only for myself. I am a bit surprised though, by some of the responses, and I have read them before in other threads as well. I have been in the classic car scene for a long time. You have people restoring and/or driving Ferrari's and people restoring and driving Lada's and everything in between and I have seldom seen any sarcasm about each other. As I said before, I am probably more a builder then a rider and when I have finished something I show it. I never stated this is a very good bike, neither when it was sold or now, it is purely personal taste.
I am a big boy with a thick skin, but don't you think it is a bit harse if someone spent blood, sweat and tears and not to forget cash restoring (or however you want to call it) a bike, some of the responses are "...those bikes were really pieces of crap...."?
So, that is of my chest, just forget it. :LOL:

Well said ;)

I like the old unloved bikes, cheaper to look after as your not fighting for parts with the bike snobs :LOL:

I like Raleighs and Falcons from the cheaper end of the ranges, I often feel unloved on this site but not for long as there are many great and helpful people too :cool:

Vive la puch !!!!!

Back