Moulton ATB

FirstFlight

Senior Retro Guru
Hey guys
Figured this would be an appropriate place to show this bike.
MoultonSide.JPG

MoultonFrame.JPG

MoultonSplit.JPG

My Dad had an old Moulton.. Wasn't the MTB version tho.. Although he did ride it around the garden with me in the front basket and my bro in the rear pannier..

Surprisingly this wasn't last Summer, but when I was about 5 ;)

I've always loved these bikes, especially the newer stainless steel ones (my dream is to own one of those and a windcheetah - as long as no one ever sees me riding either, obviously). I like everything on that bike except one thing - why did they include a caliper brake at the front when everything else is so MTB?

Gotta say, I would actually like one of these :shock: , :idea: would probably turn more heads than the trimble :)

these are some of the shop sheets I managed to scrounge from York cycleworks ➡️

Moulton1.jpg

moulton2.jpg

;)

pete_mcc":1uqg9xl3 said:
why did they include a caliper brake at the front when everything else is so MTB?

To run a cantilever or even a U-brake would have required some sort of cable hanger which the frame design does not look like it allows for. Looks like they just compromised the front brake instead of deviating from the 'Moulton look', which isn't a good idea on an off-road bike but then neither are 20" wheels :)

Would still quite like one in my garage though.

Agreed - biggest problem; the small wheels. Think of the geometry - wouldn't take a very big rut to have you over the bars. Make a nice urban warrior, though.

Nuts :shock:

That'd be a brave man who'd take that out for a hard days riding....

Back