Raleigh Dyna-Tech 605

sinnett177

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Feedback
View
Disclaimer:

In advance I apologise to all you roadie enthusiasts, I’m completely and utterly new to this road bike world, in fact this my first ever road bike.

Raleigh Dyna-Tech 605

Bought a month or so ago in parts from Jezza who previously bought it from Slimjoe. I need a bike to commute the 14 miles to work on from my new house, it’s all flattish A-roads so thought this 14 speed road bike would be the perfect tool for the job.

I’d love to take credit for the build but to be fair Jez had done everything but the cables, the chain and adjust it all. So for me the real challenge has been to learn to ride one and get it set up to my liking. Local RB’er and hair stylist to the Retrobike stars (well just me actually!) KingCutter, has been a major help in teaching me how to ride road bikes and how to get the set up right. I’m a little awkward as I like a very high saddle height (just the tiniest of bends in my legs at the lowest pedal point) whilst I’m not so long in the upper body.

Spec is along the lines of full Shimano 105 with Exage aero brake levers, Mavic MA 2 rims, Shimano 600 pedals (but will probably opt for spds), Flite ti saddle, Cinelli bars and stem and period Specialized tyres.

Anyway here’s some pictures of the bike at this time:

2009_0713dynatech6050004.jpg

2009_0713dynatech6050007.jpg

2009_0713dynatech6050009.jpg

2009_0713dynatech6050012.jpg

2009_0713dynatech6050014.jpg

2009_0713dynatech6050015.jpg

2009_0713dynatech6050017.jpg

Only real problem I’m having at this time is with the rear mech cabling. The lug for the cabling is really small, so small in fact I had to taper the cable with a Stanley knife to get in. After use the cable has pulled through, ruining my indexing. Any suggestions fellas? I was thinking maybe an adjuster should be there or some type of fancy ferrule. For info I’m using Shimano SP-41 cable outer which I think is 5mm thick, there is no chance whatsoever of getting a ferrule in there it seems.

2009_0713dynatech6050001.jpg

Looks like a good :D

Quite a short cockpit there. A stem as short as that looks will tend to make the bike 'twitchy'.

You need a special cable ferrule for that stop. Your LBS should be able to help, if not I can pop one in the post, have a load.

John":3jmwoohy said:
Looks like a good :D

Quite a short cockpit there. A stem as short as that looks will tend to make the bike 'twitchy'.

That's roughly the length that my '94 755Ti had fitted when it arrived from the distributors, & another reason why I went over to Ritchey stem/seat-pin

Raleigh also seemed to build bike with ridiculous bar widths, I seem to remember it turning up with 39cm bars!!!! :shock: :shock:
(on a 54.5 C-C)

Looks better in real life as well,and you ride it well cheers for the help today by the way,good luck with the move see you soon.

DT 605

The problem cable is the one on the chainstay. The ferrule we used was called a "Divers Helmet". The Shimano cable should have a stepped ferrule on it. I'll look in my boxes for one for you.

Cockpit

Looking at the pics, the saddle looks a little bit too far forward to me. I would push it back a tad if you can, just to the point where the seat post bisects the centre line.

Back