FAT Chance wicked Finished pics on 1

Lovely bike, shame the forks spoil the build as they are IMO fugly

Matter of opinion though, if your happy with that's all good :D

Neil G":3pevwg7l said:

the fork is the highest point of that build. true high end, rare, great performing piece of cycling machinery.
i don't get it: an Orange, Kona or a Gt are praised as a beauties but that handmade by cyclist to the highest standards of performance groovy fork is seen as ugly... :shock:

purplewicked":jy3dxhnl said:
Neil G":jy3dxhnl said:

the fork is the highest point of that build. true high end, rare, great performing piece of cycling machinery.
i don't get it: an Orange, Kona or a Gt are praised as a beauties but that handmade by cyclist to the highest standards of performance groovy fork is seen as ugly... :shock:

Well, that box fork is made after the heavy duty box fork of fcc, you know the one, made of reynolds 531 and such. IT was a fork intended for heavier riders, not so much for good looks- a very purpose built fork.

So I can understand many people not finding it aesthetically pleasing, while others worship anything that comes out of Groovy's doors ;)

I like it, though I think it would look better without the decals, and installed on my 85 Fat :D

perry":3j5a0ihi said:
while others worship anything that comes out of Groovy's doors

makes me wonder if exactly the same fork would be so highly coveted if it was on an appollo :LOL:

The majority is definitely on the fugly side, but I still like them, ultimate judgement will be reserved until their ridden though :) And I know you covet Apollos

I know you covet Apollos

damn right . ive got one in the garden . at least thats what i think it is . its certainly pink and has semi horizontal dropouts so one day will get worked over and used to post a lap time at the pines :LOL:

i saw some stickers on the bay a while ago and thought it would be a giggle putting them on the trailstar :LOL:

as long as you like the forks thats all that matters

GoldenEraMTB":2stcbrgn said:
purplewicked":2stcbrgn said:
Neil G":2stcbrgn said:

Well, that box fork is made after the heavy duty box fork of fcc, you know the one, made of reynolds 531 and such. IT was a fork intended for heavier riders, not so much for good looks- a very purpose built fork.

So I can understand many people not finding it aesthetically pleasing, while others worship anything that comes out of Groovy's doors ;)

I like it, though I think it would look better without the decals, and installed on my 85 Fat :D

i thought it was made after the smooth riding prestige FCC box crown... which flexed a lot.
form follows function. i don't like the decals but the straight legs finished in a scalloped way when touching the drop outs pleases me.
not to mention it rides better than my unicrown FCC fork.

purplewicked":3569gi06 said:
i thought it was made after the smooth riding prestige FCC box crown... which flexed a lot.
form follows function. i don't like the decals but the straight legs finished in a scalloped way when touching the drop outs pleases me.

my information is second hand on this as I have not owned one myself. I had read that the box crown fcc fork was stronger...I wouldn't imagine it would be flexy. Fatmike has one or more...he's mostly over on vrc, but he's a member here as well.

GoldenEraMTB":2touqvpf said:
purplewicked":2touqvpf said:

my information is second hand on this as I have not owned one myself. I had read that the box crown fcc fork was stronger...I wouldn't imagine it would be flexy. Fatmike has one or more...he's mostly over on vrc, but he's a member here as well.

mendon, the mod there, has a prestige box crown. also in the VRC fat chance thread, this guy posted a pink graffiti wicked w/ a YO eddy fork. he mentions having also the box crown and the fork being supple and super comfortable to ride but not having enough room for big tires.
i never tried it myself. it came on the fat chance team which was a lightweight prestige frame.

purplewicked":1ozb8azy said:
Neil G":1ozb8azy said:

Rare and high end doesn't make something pretty...it's still an ugly fork

Back