L'eroica 2010

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I know it's super long range, and need to make sure it doesn't clash with OWMTBC10 in the UK, but think it would be great to get a load of us over to l'eroica ( www.eroica.it ).

Anyone else potentially interested - I've already started to plan my bike/build!

Interest

Hi Ed
Its a good plan I think!
If I can get a build together I would be interested. Do you know what year the cut off is? if there is one.
I was debating just a month or so ago about whether to go to the OWMTB race or the Pantani gran fondo in September, but now due to work/finances I wont be able to get away in September. So by next year I would be looking for one ride away as well as the OWMTB in the UK.
The Pantani fondo would have been on the shorter distance as the route is described as supremely hard due to the high mountains. Pantanis old training grounds.

Jamie

This is something I would really love to do. Two friends of mine rode it a couple of years ago and kept their bikes in the condition they finished - all white dust, numbers etc.

I would like to consider next year provided Mrs Ned is OK by then. I would have a bike suitable for it but I think you can ride it on anything but Retro is best and you can register your bike if you're doing it Retro. I think there is a need for lowish gears as some of the roads are steep and the surface is not to good. However, quite a few people ride on 20's and 30's single gear bikes complete with the period clothing.

Here's a report on a couple who rode it a few years ago. There's also reports on this site of lots of other continental events.

http://www.flammerouge.je/content/6_cyc ... eroica.htm

O, I certainly would like to go! I already planned for this year, but I don't think I can make it, but next year I will be there. The cut-off date is 1987 I believe. But it is mostly a spiritual thing. It has to look classic, so toeclips, cables (non-aero levers), and down-shifters.
My ride is not finished yet, but I still have a year, so it should be possible.

By the way, it made me wonder how they would judge a bike with the early aero groups, like the Shimano 600 or Dura-Ace AX group. It has aero levers but from 83.....

More details here > http://www.eroica.it

Of particular interest

The race is open to riders both sexes, over 15 years, with or without membership cards, Organizations of National Council, to FCI and foreign people. All riders must be at the starting line only with historical bikes.
It means road race bikes built before 1987, with switch lever on the oblique loom tube, toe clips and belts, external brake wires. Only for short run 38 km will be accepted other historical bikes, such as work bikes, postman bikes, walking bikes, MTB excepted. Bikes with different characteristics will not be accepted at the starting line.

Senri":2mujwwwp said:
O, I certainly would like to go! I already planned for this year, but I don't think I can make it, but next year I will be there. The cut-off date is 1987 I believe. But it is mostly a spiritual thing. It has to look classic, so toeclips, cables (non-aero levers), and down-shifters.
My ride is not finished yet, but I still have a year, so it should be possible.

Fignon rode his Gitane in 1984 with hidden cables. Mind you, I think they were adapted standard Campag ones. I did the same myself.

I could use my Dave Russell, fits perfectly into the time scale and spec. Fit it with an MTB cassette though!

But I'll have to source some shoes that take 'normal' shoeplates.

We'd (my wife and I) be keen for sure. We've got a brand new baby to contend with, but by then she'll be over a year old and as the race is just for a day I'm sure we could work something out!

Latest posts

Back