1990 Raleigh 'Mountain Bike Team'

Pickle

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Back in 1992 my passion for MTB riding began.

At the time, I has just been given my first proper MTB off my Dad and it was one of these, a 1990 Raleigh 'Mountain Bike Team'.

I rode the backside off it. A real go anywhere, do anything bike. This was the first bike I raced, and managed a 3rd place on it in ESCA (English Schools Cycling Association) Area Championship.

At the time, the modifications I made were L-bend bar ends, toe clips, put some fat tyres on it (Tioga Psychos I think) and a black Girvin Flexstem.

I then chopped it in for a Raleigh Ravine.

Fast forward to June 2009, and I log on to retrobike.co.uk and see member legrandefromage has just found a new bike, a Raleigh 'Mountain Bike Team'. I immediately pick up my mobile and call him, a deal is done and the following Sunday its in my shed.

It is 99% original as I remember it. The only change is the stem, as Mark told me it was shot. 18 speed Suntour XCT drivetrain may not be comparable to M900 XTR, but it works and brings back wonderfull memories of my youth.

I dont know as yet where to go with it. The forks were an impulse extra deal with Mark, but as you can see I have the originals which may go back on.

Give me a few weeks and I'll have it up and running, so updates are to follow.

Attachments

• IMG00036.jpg
    IMG00036.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 5,069
  • IMG00035.jpg
    IMG00035.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 5,119
  • IMG00034.jpg
    IMG00034.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 5,121
  • IMG00033.jpg
    IMG00033.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 5,219
Excellent stuff, I keep peering at these on ebay and thinking...

I put tioga psychos on my 1st MTB too (a raleigh ascender). Did you learn to live with the lethal wash out and clearance issues too??

I have a huge soft spot for raleigh, good work :D

Is this the 501 frame set (based on the Montage and Mirage) or the 531 Lightweight edition one (based on the Thunderroad or Ozark)?
If it's the 531 one I want one of these myself.

Carl.

Just brought a new stem so the original forks can go back on. Will save the silver forks for the Stumpjumper.

This will be an interesting project to watch just to see what parts it ends up with :cool:

The Silver forks that you are not using do you happen know what they are by any chance ??

Cheers

jango":c9qzrvz0 said:
Nice one Jon, I vote for the original forks :cool:

Cheers mate ;)

Gravy Monster":c9qzrvz0 said:
The Silver forks that you are not using do you happen know what they are by any chance ??

No, I dont actually. Will have to ask Mark and get back to you.

A little update.

Forks back to original and stem changed due to the slightly differing sizes.

All that leaves to do is souce a 1" canti hanger, fit some new cables, change the saddle, grips and bar ends.

Also think skinwall tyres may suit the era better.

Attachments

• IMG00077.jpg
    IMG00077.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 4,642
Very Nice bike, but thats to be expected of the guy trying to hold a Raleigh Rally in the Pentland hills this Sunday :D

Back