BoTM July 2009 - Nominations now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a great looking bike Si, all the better for being so original.

My favourite so far this month I think...

Dr S":1tv645eo said:
Cheers dude.
What you see is what it came with. The rear rim was replaced in the late 80's but with another identical Araya, both mechs were changed for some reason in the early 90's but have been replaced with the original M730's (cheers Ameybrook) and the original tyres were shot a long time ago. It should have specialized tyres which I am looking for but the Ritcheys will do for now as it gets a lot of use. The original owner also changed the pedals and chainrings when it was just a month old but luckily they turned up in his loft and have been refitted. Restoration was limited to refinishing the frame which had some bad scratches and the fork that had rust around the crown. None of the remaining original componants have been touched and it bears a few scuffs and scrapes here and there but its all part of its history. It still has the original bearings in the BB and even still has its original set of Shimano heavy duty brake cables.

I think out of all the bikes I have this one will be the life keeper. Its such a nice ride and great for all day epics. Its not flashy or bling and can be left outside the shops and doesn't attract attention even with fellow riders. A real timewarp bike from my favourite era and builder.

Cheers
Si

Thanks for the response. I asked because I'm about complete with my mine and I was trying to build it as listed on the FirstFlight site for 1987....good stuff; hope it wins, and it's ride is like nothing else, imho...well next to my Yo, but that's a different topic.

I think no two were the same new. They were built up with what they had at the time. Good luck with your build- look forward to seeing it.

Cheers
si

Another fine month :D the ultimate looked the fav but the koga grew on me, then the FAT came along. Possibly my favourite bike on site.

It's the Slim Chance, not the Fat Chance that does it for me.

Rarely does a road bike stand a chance in this competition but that one is fantastic. Very rare frame in superb colour and beautiful groupset - a very classy and interesting head turner of a bike.

GoldenEraMTB":20olrsxx said:
Dr S":20olrsxx said:
Brief spec- full XT M730 6 speed, Shimano 600 headset, salsa stem, FAT bars, Araya rims on XT hubs. Original saddle has been replaced for sake of preservation.

Cheers
Si

Great looking fat; didn't it come with the XT headset and specialized rims/tires?

The '87 did come with a 600 headset and Araya RM20 rims as stock, although the fact that this has the complete XT group would suggest that it's a Wicked FC rather than a standard Fat Chance if it is stock from Fat.

The only thing that is wrong is the decal kit, the frame material sticker is at the top of the seat tube rather than the bottom, it's missing the American flag from the top of the seat tube and it's got the later Chris Chance signature decal on the chainstay and the later Somerville decal on the seat tube - picky, me? :LOL:

Attachments

• Wicked.jpg
    Wicked.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 879
pete_mcc":10ziuonn said:
GoldenEraMTB":10ziuonn said:
Dr S":10ziuonn said:
Brief spec- full XT M730 6 speed, Shimano 600 headset, salsa stem, FAT bars, Araya rims on XT hubs. Original saddle has been replaced for sake of preservation.

Cheers
Si

Great looking fat; didn't it come with the XT headset and specialized rims/tires?

The '87 did come with a 600 headset and Araya RM20 rims as stock, although the fact that this has the complete XT group would suggest that it's a Wicked FC rather than a standard Fat Chance if it is stock from Fat.

The only thing that is wrong is the decal kit, the frame material sticker is at the top of the seat tube rather than the bottom, it's missing the American flag from the top of the seat tube and it's got the later Chris Chance signature decal on the chainstay and the later Somerville decal on the seat tube - picky, me? :LOL:

It's good to be picky when it comes to matters such as there ;)

I sourced the specialized saddle and the specialized tires; I won't be done with mine till next month, unless this nomination last another week....hmmmm, with so many Fats to vote for, chances are good we will have a Fat as the winner, no?

:cool: Let me get to work this weekend

The offending decals were removed some time ago as soon as I had discovered the error. At the time I had no pics to work from and it had no decals at all when new so i had no idea where to place them :oops:

FAT V Wicked...I guess the best way to find out is to measure the head angle. There are a few differences to the spec sheet.. mine has a Salsa stem and a rear U-brake, what does this mean??

The plot thickens :?

Suppose its not too shabby to discover that ones bike is one model higher up the food chain.

Thanks for your help pete ;)

Dr S":1604mgiz said:
The offending decals were removed some time ago as soon as I had discovered the error. At the time I had no pics to work from and it had no decals at all when new so i had no idea where to place them :oops:

FAT V Wicked...I guess the best way to find out is to measure the head angle. There are a few differences to the spec sheet.. mine has a Salsa stem and a rear U-brake, what does this mean??

The plot thickens :?

Suppose its not too shabby to discover that ones bike is one model higher up the food chain.

Thanks for your help pete ;)

I also agree that it most likely is a wicked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back