Merckx corsa extra *pic update page 4 - April 2020*

Shimano

No Campag for this one.
I built it with the same setup as my Giant, Ultegra/105 as it had proven itself on 2 continents and many, many miles. Plus, I was well comfortable with it.
Thanks for the comments, as I did think when I first put it on that I would be crucified for no Campag, not that I care because I built it for me and I love it. :D though like everyone, it is nice when someone notices and takes an interest in your pride and joy. So thanks
And yes, I agree get those Merckx photographed and loaded. We need to build our new road section bigger and better ;) and someone with six! Merckx's can do that easily :cool:

Cheers guys
Jamie

That is one fine looking bicycle Jamie ...and I bet it is a great rider too

fatfixie":3cwhdmbb said:
Lovely frame, please some campag tho :)

My bike OCD has just seen my eddy collection rise to six :oops:

Andy

Q : What worse than a man with Six merckxs?
A : A man with six merckx's and NO PICS :LOL:

I think we need to setup a seperate forum for fat fixie.

Thought I would post a bit more info and pics

Hi guys
A very old thread but thought I would post a couple of pics and also copy a reply I had sent Craig (rusty bodie) on another thread when he asked about my Merckx. It mentioned what I paid for the frame and fork new. I still have the full list of prices if anyone is interested.

'My Merckx I have had since new. I bought it in November 2001 when the factory was selling off the last of the steel frames. Its a 'custom' 48cm, which sounds good but in reality anything under 50cm was called custom and made in batches of 1 or 2 when someone ordered one. They also cost around £75 to £100 more They should have been cheaper as they used less steel. I personally cant complain though because list price for a standard Corsa Extra in 2001 was £575 in the UK with custom size being £650 but as mine was being sold off and had hung in the factory for a while I got it for £350 :cool:
I wasnt really into retrobikes then but I came to the UK in September 2001 from Australia after travelling the UK and going to the Tour that summer. Back home I had always wanted a classic steel Merckx and was determined that I would get one some day and then low and behold I was told in the November that they were stopping making steel frames, or steady production anyway. I had to do it even though I didnt know whether I would stay here or move on. It lived in its box under my bed for a good amount of time before I got the bits for it and was settled enough to build it. I arrived with my backpack and Giant TCR which had done many, many faithful miles with Ultegra and 105 mix, hence when I finally built my Corsa I built it the same, not everyones taste but its what worked for me and at the time I could barely afford that new. Its hopefully soon getting upgraded to Dura Ace.

Jamie

Its my regular ride and gets used quite often. It gets a thorough wash and polish after each ride. Just realised its over 11 years since I bought it and I still love it.

DSC_1918.jpg

With its equivelant size Concorde Squadra stablemat

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

IMG_3474.jpg

On a Macretro run a few months back

IMG_3478.jpg

Small is just a relative concept

John":1bqn1r24 said:
fatfixie":1bqn1r24 said:
Lovely frame, please some campag tho :)

My bike OCD has just seen my eddy collection rise to six :oops:

Andy

Q : What worse than a man with Six merckxs?
A : A man with six merckx's and NO PICS :LOL:

I think we need to setup a seperate forum for fat fixie.

Have never seen this reply for some reason . It's more than six now :oops:

My thread bought me here too. Some fine steel on display here and looking forward to seeing some more judging by the comment above!

Back