Guess the Raleigh frame competition

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Two nice touches to this tip find frame that I've not seen before so would like your help:

serial number 1460 - no other numbers present

seatpost 26.8mm

pump mounts, underbar cable routing

I smell another Ti Raleigh industries frame....?

Attachments

• Raleigh BB.jpg
    Raleigh BB.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 3,305
  • Raleigh seatclamp.jpg
    Raleigh seatclamp.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 3,305
some contenders:

0702_1.JPG

2394182520072615733S600x600Q85.jpg

It had white pearlescent paint underneath.

All ilkeston built frames will have serail nos. starting SB. Worksop built frames will have serials starting W.

Looks like a nice find though. Any stickers at all to help with ID?

John":1c3j7zor said:
All ilkeston built frames will have serail nos. starting SB. Worksop built frames will have serials starting W.

Looks like a nice find though. Any stickers at all to help with ID?

not a sausage - just the pissy little number of '1460' that doesnt equate to anything mentioned on the net.

Found some marks on the lugs -

Attachments

• Raleigh BB.jpg
    Raleigh BB.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 3,282
  • Raleigh seatclamp.jpg
    Raleigh seatclamp.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 3,282
its very similar to one I had late 80's. Mine was built in 531 comp, same BB shell and cast seat lug, fork crown and fork shape as yours. It was a mass produced one, not an Ilkeston one. Mine was a light blue fade around the head tube, fork crown and rear end and ruby read round the seat cluster and BB on a metallic white background. for such an ordinary frame, in many ways rode better than my colnago master. A mate who had a colnago super was peeved that he'd spent a bomb and my raleigh weighed a lot less. They also did one in 653 which was red and green on a white background.
given that it has a 27.2 seatpin its 531C or 653 and not 501 which i also had as a winter bike and used a smaller seatpin. At that time, you can tell if its mass produced or ilkeston, cos the mass produced ones had slightly larger than average welding blow-holes. The forks used to whistle different notes depending on speed of descent. Sound comical, but got quite annoying and eventually I put different forks on.
It will build as a good quality, lightweight racing bike.

pigman":2l9a492o said:
its very similar to one I had late 80's. Mine was built in 531 comp, same BB shell and cast seat lug, fork crown and fork shape as yours. It was a mass produced one, not an Ilkeston one. Mine was a light blue fade around the head tube, fork crown and rear end and ruby read round the seat cluster and BB on a metallic white background. for such an ordinary frame, in many ways rode better than my colnago master. A mate who had a colnago super was peeved that he'd spent a bomb and my raleigh weighed a lot less. They also did one in 653 which was red and green on a white background.
given that it has a 27.2 seatpin its 531C or 653 and not 501 which i also had as a winter bike and used a smaller seatpin. At that time, you can tell if its mass produced or ilkeston, cos the mass produced ones had slightly larger than average welding blow-holes. The forks used to whistle different notes depending on speed of descent. Sound comical, but got quite annoying and eventually I put different forks on.
It will build as a good quality, lightweight racing bike.

Thought you'd be on this one.

26.8mm seatpost - very light. I have a similar era Raleigh 501 frame to comapare it to - so different

legrandefromage":190xuxa1 said:
26.8mm seatpost - very light. I have a similar era Raleigh 501 frame to comapare it to - so different

sorry, missed the seatpost size. I got carried away rambling on about 27.2. Maybe 653 was 26.8, i dunno? Will a 27.2 fit? I once bought a MTB from a shop with the wrong seatpin in. i didnt know till I met someone else with a similar frame who pointed out the error. when I tried his (larger diameter), this fitted better and didnt need so much tightening.

everyone ok with '531c'? I'm going to order the stickers today.

Its staying black (finding some quality black paint/ laquer was a big hint) with a touch of gold here & there.

According to Tony Oliver's book, 653 and 531c had the same internal diameter.
For a perfect build it's 27.2, but maybe a bit of heat distortion meant some ovalising and a 26.8 was a better fit.
Apparently a perfect silver brazed frame (less heat so less distortion) will build up with a 27.4 seat tube.

My Dawes tandem is similar - 26.8 at the front and 27.0 at the back, even they both ought to be 27.2.

Back