NE&YORKS Noggin and Natter

Thrunton Night Ride mini report

Then there were three. Dr Drew, shattered from his epic drive back from France decided to opt for some sleep and god knows what happened to Sithlord- we waited dude!
So the three Thruntoneers, myself Toons and AlpWilli scowled at a grey sky that was threatening to piss everywhere, set off up the climb into Thrunton. The hill was soon rattled off with the usual banter with red deer scattering back into the treeline (WTF do they go??). We took the XC loop up toward the Dragonfly Pond. Even though it had rained heavily the trails were mainly dry but with big puddles- some deeper than others. Onward toward The Cairn and a brief stop to take in the view and a fag and then at last downward. Great section with multiple line choices and some nasty ruts and holes to keep you on your toes.
I then had the only fall of the day on that hi-speed section with the ruts that claimed Kaiser last time round. I remembered to land on my good wrist and rolled gently through the heather.
AlpWilli got a phonecall at this point to say his house had been broken into, so we headed back toward the forest up that infamous steep rock climb. To add to our misery the heavens opened with that fine rain that really soaks you through. After a good ten minutes of pushing we made it to the top and the rain stopped. Now back in the forest, with Alp peeling off toward the car park we saught out Thrunton's hidden jewels.
Tiny gaps with tyre tracks heading into the treeline is all you have to work on, but once in a whole new underworld snakes off into the darkness. I must add at this point that this was Toon's first time. Even though it was still light on the outside world, the interior was as black as night. I'd forgotten to tell him he would need lights so he had to stay close and I would call the bends, drops, stumps and roots that litter these hidden gems. Traverse, Cresta and the likes were despatched at a slightly reduced pace. They really are the best trails I have ever riden on- manacing, technical, steep, flowing, slippy and rooty. You only see about 10 feet in front of you and it keeps you on your toes as you adjust your line or use a handful of rear brake to slide around a hairpin. We had several runs back up the hill to take on the next section, diving in to find junctions with other options down the hill side. At this point I noticed I had been riding with my fork locked out.
As darkness began to swallow the outer world we headed back toward the carpark via the legendary HP sauce (the top part still being closed for thinning). I had a tweek on my forks- really getting the hang of them now and they were superb on the final section, and for the first time in my life I 'got the point' of suss.
HP rocks! Its a little wider, open and flowing than the stuff further up the hill and you can really have a go at it. Too soon we emerged onto the fireroad at the bottom and I scouted out for the HP extention that P20 showed me last time out. In the darkening gloom I spotted the entrance and in we went. This part is dark on a sunny saturday afternoon as MacRetro will tell you, last night it was evil. How Jamie got down without killing himself was amazing. The guys have done some work on this section, doing more cutting back and they have filled the two little drainage ditches that caught out many halfway in- it now flows and even allows a little air here and there.
And that was it. All that was left was the traditional top gear blast down the steep fireroad and the last of the late brakers game before the stout wooden gate- wow, discs are great!
We got back to the cars to find we had just 15 minutes until last orders, bikes were slung in, no time for a change, flat out to the nearest pub (which closed its doors when we pulled up :evil: ) so on to the next one for a well earned pint.

Cheers for coming guys, hope things were OK willi??

A grand night out!

S

si

As always a great write up. Sounds like u boys had mucho fun in the dark woods together :oops: I'd be careful that you don't get another visit from Kaiser and his infamous big ring :LOL:

Already made a note not to attempt Thrunton in daps on SPD pedals again. How the crown jewels escaped a crunch I will never know :shock: However, one of the big puddles nearly claimed me when a third of my front wheel disappeared and I nearly endo'd into the dark waters. Only my Jedi reflexes (!) saved me (or I was just bloody lucky, again!)

Report on the house - some pikey tried to open our patio door handle with a plank of wood but ran off when our next door came out for a fag. Luckily he/she/it didn't get in but the lock mech is buggered so it doesn't open even when unlocked - another repair required and we've not long shelled out to change the locks :x Police did their usual but not a lot - guess the t*** has got away with it. Now panicing that the little inbred will try again.

Didn't get home until midnight and I was still covered in Thrunton mud :?

Nice to meet you Jamie and will maybe c u around Dalbeattie some time.

Si, as always, great times.

BTW, u can sure gets some speed up on that Coldstream road :D

Rhys

Wow Thrunton Woods is quality, miles miles better than I expected, Cheers Si for the guided tour.

Defo need my lights next time, god knows how I made it through those wooded sections without crashing! The adrenaline was pumping, heart was pounding and I was sweating like an MP with a second home!! Can’t wait to do it all again

Rhys did you lose a glove, its grey and black?

Defo going to watch that Jam in the Toon.

Si, I can't make Chopwell, gotta go away with work, should be around the week after.

Jamie

Not my glove dude, I've accounted for mine and they were purple/black.

thanks for the shout though.

Also, you MUST be a Jedi doing those runs without lights - Feel the Force or something like that :LOL:

Rhys

toons":1dpgtcun said:
Dr S":1dpgtcun said:
My gloves are black and grey, will check when i get home.
I got one of them and I've washed it!

Bloody hell, thats very domesticated. My gear gets slung in the garage until next time and washed only when I have run out of clean stuff and only then the night before.

Me bad :roll:

Back