New member!

MercianMike

Devout Dirtbag
Hey guys, thought I would quickly introduce myself.

My names Mike, my brother and I have only just got into classic road bikes this year and have already started to fill the garage.

So far we have:

Raleigh Scorpio (70's I think), crashed this into my girlfriend bending front forks and buckling both wheels (whilst headbutting her), the frame is way too small so now will take pride of place on my wall.

Raleigh Criterium: 1986, mint condition, bought for £40 off of the next door neighbour. Its the kind of racer you dream about as a boy, all red and shiny!
Bob Jackson frame, (80's I think!) in grey, this will be my fixie hopefully.

Bob Jackson fixed bike in Red, running brakeless.

And finally my pride and joy, My blue Mercian.
Built in 1978 (so I was told) with some nice old school dura tech components. It has this strange old fabric sowed on, no bar tape!
I bought this for £275 in a local very old bike shop. The shop is run by an old man, it is full of rubbish but I found this beauty hiding out the back.

I am unsure about model names for the BJ's and the Mercian, and I know you guys will want pics. These are on there way soon.

Have any of you guys heard of a frame builder called Wes Mason? If so I would love some information on him.

Check this thread soon for pics!

Welcome aboard Mike

Welcome aboard !
Sounds like a good selection there, all bases covered.
Look forward to the pics.

Jamie

Wes Mason was a top road rider, originally from Sheffield, and was Commonwealth Games Champion in 1962. He turned professional a few years later and did very well, riding for Viking, Carlton, Raleigh etc. When he retired he became involved with Arthur Metcalfe, another top pro (he finished the Tour de France as a UK based rider) and Ron Kitching ( the importer of cycle equipment for many years) and they started MKM frame builders in Harrogate (Metcalfe Kitching Mason). He and Arthur also sold frames with their own names on and Wes had a shop in Harrogate for several years.

Without checking back through old magazines I can't be sure of dates but MKM finished around 1980 (I have one of the last frames) but I remember going to Wes's shop a few times in the '80's.

Haven't heard of him for a while. Arthur passed away a few years ago and is remembered with an annual 'sportive' style ride in Yorkshire in the summer.

I'm sure I have an advert in an old 'International Cycle Sport' for Metcalfe and Mason frames, I'll try and find it.

Thanks for the comments guys, pics will be added soon.

Cheers for the info Old Ned, I was looking at a Wes Mason TT bike on ebay but decided against it due to lack of space.

Quite a severe crash into your girlfriend on the Scorpio :shock: , hope she came off better than the bike.

Oh, and photos of the Mercian are essential!

Update for you guys, finally got around to it.
2969312160104615255S500x500Q85.jpg

2860211530104615255S500x500Q85.jpg

2752130110104615255S500x500Q85.jpg

2461131170104615255S500x500Q85.jpg

2275449760104615255S500x500Q85.jpg

2847582020104615255S500x500Q85.jpg

2679027220104615255S500x500Q85.jpg

Few accessories for the bikes, please bear in mind these are all work in progress!

Welcome! How did you find us.

MercianMike":11b0wzci said:
Raleigh Scorpio (70's I think), crashed this into my girlfriend bending front forks and buckling both wheels (whilst headbutting her), the frame is way too small so now will take pride of place on my wall.

:shock: had to read that twice, hope the missus is ok.

Cheers John,

I have been reading the forum for a while as a guest, thought I would start some contribution.

My missus was ok after the Scorpio crash/headbutt incident! To be honest we where on a drink and ride day (countryside pub crawl on bikes of all shapes and sizes) so we couldn't feel the pain so much!

cheers for the welcome folks.

Back