Merckx corsa extra *pic update page 4 - April 2020*

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Heres my Merckx corsa extra
Its retro I suppose because of what it is, though I had it ordered in 2002 from the factory as its classed as a custom size, 48cm. I got it a bit cheaper as I was informed that they were ceasing production of the steel frames. So a bit of measuring and questions back and forward and it was soon on its way. Its built exactly the same as the earlier ones, Columbas SLX etc, only downsized to my size. It took me a few years to eventually build it up as I had my Giant that came with me from Aus for all usual duties.
I always wanted a classic steel Merckx back home and when I came to Europe and thought I would stay for a while I knew I would eventually get one but as soon as I heard from a mate that they were stopping the production, I ordered one and then it lived in its box under my bed for a long time.
Its definately a keeper and it will stay with me no matter where I go.
It rides like I'm floating on the wings of angels :roll:

It has 105 throughout with the exception of the STI's, seatpost and hubs which are Ultegra. Mavic open pro with scapin lightweight spokes. Cinelli 'campionne' bars and A1 'Eddie Merckx' pantographed stem with merckx bar tape
Jamie

IMG_1352.jpg

can you tell what it is yet?
DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

and my jersey :LOL:
DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

That is a beauty. What can be finer than a corsa extra :cool:

Love the panto'd stem too. Sets it off nicely. Good work not going ahead also, did you spec that?

Corsa

Cheers John
The forks were the standard ones for the corsa frame, I was offered a carbon fork option but it just didnt seem right. It was a standard corsa extra frame and fork just a custom size (GI Joe). It was done through a shop in London, Interbike.
I dont think that the frame was built from my order, I think it was already hanging somewhere in the factory. I was offered this paintjob or a red/white scheme, this made me think that there were two already sitting there. I was told there would be no more in any size once these and a couple of other sizes were gone. Thats probably why I got it for half list price, it seemed that they just wanted shot of all the steel frames lying about.
The corsa has AFAIK aways been available in 48cm and 46cm but listed as a custom size and cost a bit more than the standard sizes. I am pretty sure they would make only a few of these each run and then leave them hanging about incase someone wanted one. Its not in any 2001 or 2002 catalogues so mine could have been sitting in its box in the factory for a while. I have the delivery/build card but there is no date on it, just the numbers and DRW is the paintcode. It also has the two dropout screws and caps in their bag tapped to the back of the card.
I just noticed as well, the reciept is for the 11/2001. I must have got myself an early Christmas present ;)

Jamie

That is a gift and a half!

You should be able to date the frame from the serial number. Be interesting to see if it was made in 2001. (merckx date thread in main road forum).

Seem to recall the mx leaders merckx (re)made in the 00s were ahead.

Merckx

Cheers for that John
It starts with a G so going by the table it looks like a 97/98 model.
The other side from the number has C for corsa and 48 for the size.
With the card was the reciept and yes I got a bargain.

Jamie

Re: Merckx

Jamiedyer":3ajbuywk said:
Cheers for that John

Jamie

Interesting they had it around for so long.

John":cnef80ld said:
Jamiedyer":cnef80ld said:
Cheers for that John

Jamie

Interesting they had it around for so long.

you know roadies, John! They ride round on some £4.5k monster for about 8 months then trade it in for next years model leaving a wake of mint s/h stuff behind them. Steel would have been so unpopular even back then with alu and carbon being flavour of the moment.

I have a lower end Merckx Strada that I'm growing to like more and more.

legrandefromage":2wpqf7yl said:
you know roadies, John! They ride round on some £4.5k monster for about 8 months then trade it in for next years model leaving a wake of mint s/h stuff behind them. Steel would have been so unpopular even back then with alu and carbon being flavour of the moment.

I hear you. plenty of the lads I ride with locally seem to pitch up on a new carbon fibre ride equipped with record/DA every spring.

legrandefromage":2wpqf7yl said:
I have a lower end Merckx Strada that I'm growing to like more and more.

Welcome to the awesome power of Eddy :cool:

Merckx

A young amatuer road racer dies and goes to heaven. St Peter meets him at the pearly gates and says 'you have been such a good guy, you can get into heaven and spend your days doing whatever you enjoy'
The rider says he would like to go and spend time on the velodrome. Whilst he's on the centre getting ready there are several riders flying past on the banking. All of a sudden he turns and watches one of the riders for several laps, he then says to St Peter ' isnt that Eddie Merckx? I didnt realise he had died' St Peter replies ' No he's still alive, thats just GOD, he just wishes he was Eddie Merckx' ;)

Jamie

Back