Any Moulton experts here?

mattsccm

Senior Retro Guru
finally got hold of my aunts Moulton. Been after it for at least 35 years , maybe more. Still very original but needs work. Main problem is shifting stem. Don't know how long it is or how long the fork column is but it isn't moving. don't want to damage anything inside. Been soaking in all sorts of stuff for months to no avail. Heat isn't an option as the paint is to good. Any suggestions or a link to a diagram of the front end. Tried the Moulton owners but very hard to plough through their site/forum.

Moultons are **brilliant**.
Which one is it? Where's our photos?
To be honest, I'd keep going with goop. Plus Gas instead of WD40, perhaps

Yes

i've owned over 30, currently have 3 waiting to be rebuilt

PM me with any q's and i'll see if i can help :)

Andy

I take it you've loosened the expander bolt on the stem a few turns and given it a sharp whack with a hammer? That usually gives it a hand. One of the guys at the shop said classic Coca Cola sometimes worked. I'd have to say that PlusGas worked on my '65 Speed.
As far as diagrams go, there is a limited one which explains what is contained within the front forks and can be found at www.moultoneers.info/tech-topics/classic-front. I think Paul Grogan's 'The Classic Moulton' book has exploded diagrams. He says he's aiming for a reprint ready for the Bradford-on-Avon meet in September.

Back