RETROBIKE'S BIG DIRTY WEEKENDER- THIS WEEKEND!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good on yer. Will send you a booking form in the morning. Don't thinkthere will be electrical hook ups though as we have got the overflow field at the campsite. Van will be OK, I think there are going to be a few and I will be sleeping in mine.

Si

do all you boys were helmets??as i have noticed a few in pics,are they compulsary? Only i dont own one and never have,and these days the most hardcore riding i do is a bit of shore patrol along the prom,ha ha :oops:

doobydoo":1w9qda9c said:
do all you boys were helmets??as i have noticed a few in pics,are they compulsary? Only i dont own one and never have,and these days the most hardcore riding i do is a bit of shore patrol along the prom,ha ha :oops:

Yes I wear a Helmet. It isn't about hardcore riding if you go anywhere near the road it is the idiots who see you as a target you need to worry about.

I also wear a helmet, I need to protect the last few remaining brain cells ;)

I have a Met helmet going spare if you want to borrow it, I imagine that there will be some good technical sections on the rides that will test bike & rider

Andy B":93ozs5s1 said:
I imagine that there will be some good technical sections on the rides that will test bike & rider

That what I'm worried about. Not for the helmet but just the fact that I haven't ridden off road on rigid for years and I've always been much lacking in the skills department.

Come to that I've hardly ridden at all in the last couple of years and I'm just in the beginning of my fitness comeback, but I'm used to my full sus bailing me out when I do venture off road! So far the retro has just been taking me to work on slicks.

Can anyone tell me how tough the Saturday ride is? Didn't think it looked too bad from the pics.
If I go to Dalby on the Sunday I think I'll have to let the side down with my susser. I last did the red run the year before last (actually my last proper ride if I think about it) and really don't fancy it on a rigid bike. I'm even too scared to ride it on clipless pedals so that should tell you something about my skill level! :oops:
Anyway, I'm reviving the sus with new wheels so it's calling for the dust blowing of it!

Prefer it if you wore a helmet because if you came off and did yourself in it would take ages to bury you with a Topeak Multitool and that would throw the schedule all to cock. But it's a free country and I dislike nannyism and H&S bollocks so do as you please.

Si

Don't worry. Saturdays ride is 22 miles in total length, with pubs stops at 10 miles and 19 miles. 98% is off road. There is a mixture of downhill, singletrack, sheep track, shooting track, forest road and firebreak, some shouldering and hiking, technical rocky bits, plenty of smooth flowing stuff and is suitable for all abilities and anyone with a reasonable level of fitness. There is a short cut 'home' around 8 miles in if anyone feels bushed. Pace will be leasurely with the group no doubt breaking into differently paced groups. There will be regular re-groups for the Downhill Challenge sections so no-one will be left behind.

Sunday will also be a leasurely bimble. Gil will be leading us around bits of old and new red, SSUK circuit, off piste and local knowledge stuff. Rigid will be fine. We had everything from a modern Orange Five to a 1933 Schwinn Excelsior on the route recce all were perfectly suited to the chosen route.

To sum up, wether a seasoned racer on the best kit or a fatty like me on an old Schwinn, you will get round and really enjoy it.

Sithee up on't moor wi good fettle!

NOW I can't wait !!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: was the thought of a 40+ mile ride on a hardtail was making my little(not) bottom go into spasm at the thought ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back