Cassette Tool

POR73R

Dirt Disciple
Can anyone tell me what tool i need to take this cassette of ? and possabily a link of where to buy one.

DSC00353.jpg

Maybe me but I can only count 5 cogs. It must surely be a free wheel not a cassette, especially with threaded axle. Different tool. Ask your LBS for one for you freewheel

mattsccm":2utxu3kn said:
Maybe me but I can only count 5 cogs. It must surely be a free wheel not a cassette, especially with threaded axle. Different tool. Ask your LBS for one for you freewheel

I'm sure I can count 7 cogs. Look at around the 'twenty past' position. It's possibly an early Uniglide cassette which requires a pair of chain whips to remove it, the top sprockets screw onto the body.

See Sheldon Brown -

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

Don't understand the threaded axle though :?: :?

It looks to me like a hollow axle, but the threaded bit is the tip of the threaded end of a QR shaft.

As everyone else says, unscrew the smallest sprocket. You'll need two chain whips.

I found an ex skip mountain bike with a shimano cassette and a solid (for nuts) threaded axle, so they do exist. It took a 6 or 7 cassette and fits with a normal lockring rather than being held on by a threaded, small sprocket.
To be sure, we need a side-on view of the hub to see if its a cassette or block.

This is a UG cassette - you need two chain whips, one to hold the cassette body still; the other to unscrew the smallest sprocket...

Back