Manitou elastomer colours?

Void(EN12-82)

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi there,

Recently got meself a Manitou 1 fork (thanx once again stew_b, ever so greatfull!) and took them apart completely to get them working again. There was no travel on them anymore as they were stuck. Surprisingly enough it was all "rusted together" and stuck, but the elastomers looked like they were 100% A-OK :)

Only thing I was wondering after putting them together, what colours means what setting? Does anyone know anything about that? Because I have two little black rebound rubbers (hehe) in the top, two small yellow ones that seem pretty firm below and below that there were two red large ones. The red ones seem to be pretty soft to me... so errr, was there anything like codes for firmness? I read here about red ones, yellow ones and white ones. And after putting the for together again it works like a treat again... only thing is I am just about 100% certain they are too soft for my fat arse, cause I can easily compress the fork by hand about 1.5 inches (or maybe this will be less when mounted in a bike?) so I reckon when my whole 160lbs is on top of it, it will bottom out?

Anywayz, was just wondering about those colours... and maybe I could someday switch to other elastomers to get it more firm (dunno if I'm gonna use the fork yet since I wanna have a SwitchBlades in my KLEIN, looks totally tha bomb!).

Void(EN12-82) :cool:

dont have the manitou 1 manual , but all the others 2 , 3 and 4 are standard

black = extra soft

blue = soft

red = medium

yellow = firm

brown = extra firm

the white are my own replacement elastomers and were not available bitd

but are the equivalent of the yellow , firm

Hehehe, somehow I just knew that SLIM would be the first one to reply :)

Anyway, anyone also have some insight on what would be the best setup for a 160lbs dude??

PS: My RS FSX is also overinflated because I just HATE sag (that's why my FOX F80RL is also overinflated). Them Total Air Cartridges say for around 90Kg of weight about 15bar is firm, but I ride with 22bar.

Cause if I plan to use my newly serviced and cleaned Manitou 1 (let's say in some totally awesome beauty of a Zaskar LE hehe) I should of course not drive around with a fork that's compressed 2 inches when just sitting on the bike :-D

Oh yeah, and why is there one small and one large elastomer? Was just wondering (always wanna know why).

Is the little one to prevent bottoming out (or how is that called? when the fork compresses and hits the bottom of the travel). Because the little one is yellow (firm) and the large one is red (medium).

Oh my, questions questions ;-)

i have seen them in all sorts of colours , cvi used to sell them in green , not the cold weather ones which are original but a minty green and foam looking type

mine had the one large and one small , it is sipposed to help in the compression ? so that one compresses slightly slower than the other iirc

and that was one that i missed out on

green = cold weather

Back