best manchester bike shop for a new lid?

Andy-well its a few years old saracen enzyme,so prob just above bso i hope :) -getting a bit creaky now,this old girl got me back to cycling though,so much loved,also got an old road bike with some modern gear which i have dreams of altering(now i actually know what i need)-so best way to get in touch-mobile from your website?

Reanimation-many thanks for that,i have used the edinburgh co-op,and liked the feel of the place,but hadn't thought to look outside of edinburgh so will def. check them out.Also much intrigued by the bicycle doctors-look quirky-but then aren't most passionate cyclists?

Yes probably! :) I was prob a bit tired last night. they always come good at BD and friendly, had them truing my old wheels and supplying bits. Plus a chap at work just bought a new bike from there, not to mention theres some good enthusast stuff, so they are worth a look defo. The other one is Cycle Surgery near the M56, a bit lifstyle and RRP, but a nice clean shop and liked the staff, range perhaps slightly limited but good stuff. :)

HTH :)

tozi321":2w6dr3ol said:
Andy-well its a few years old saracen enzyme,so prob just above bso i hope :) -getting a bit creaky now,this old girl got me back to cycling though,so much loved,also got an old road bike with some modern gear which i have dreams of altering(now i actually know what i need)-so best way to get in touch-mobile from your website?
You can PM me on this site, email me from my website, or you use the phone (although I'm not allowed my phone in the factory on my full time job, so you'd probably end up speaking to the answerphone)

Some of the older Saracens were great bikes, but not too geeked up on them so I'm not sure where the Enzyme fits in the range

I also have an old skool road bike, ~1978/1980 Falcon with Shimano 600 arabesque mech's & shifters & 27" wheels, which is also in the process of being upgraded!

tozi321":1aqyoj7p said:
Thanks for that Purplefrog.The arguments for/against/compulsory/voluntary wearing of helmets are many,and often academically interesting.For me the helmet is a part of the ritual of getting my kit on,a sort of talisman I suppose,individual choice is surely the most important factor in such a controversal area-long may it be so.

That and making sure the helmet fits and is up to a decent safety standard... I think the good ones are Snell B.90 and B.95, and helmets that meet them are rare. Specialized are one of the best helmet makers re. cert level. The Research site is the only place where I've found realistic info on fitting and the different certifications.

reanimation":2b64tgnz said:
Bicycle Doctor round teh corner Rusholme-Fallowfield, must say its a bit wierd in there, but woorth a look, always a proper bike to be found in or out of there.

Based on what I've heard, Bike Doc would probably be my first choice for getting serious work done on a bike as well as somewhere I'd call if buying new - they're big on Surly and can order other stuff in. But I'd have thought they were too small to have a large range of helmets. Otoh, they might be very selective about what they do stock.

Andy B":7hl1qluw said:
tozi321":7hl1qluw said:
cheers Andy.Like the look of the giro-have to check the fitIntrigued by your cycle business! Are you old-bike friendly? and how near do you ever get to woodhall:
The Giro Hex is a highly regarded helmet, it's approx £50, or if you want to spend a bit more the Xen is the daddy (~£100)

Does the visor pop off the Xen in a crash? If not, then there's a problem - the most serious crash damage to heads is the neurological damage from rotation, which the leverage of a visor will increase. Plus a fixed visor will tend to push the helmet off the head in a crash.

Minimizing rotation isn't part of any of the certifications, regrettably, and neither is helmet retention. Spec designs its Xen rival so the visor will pop off, and it meets the uncommonly high B.90 level:

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/4364

Thanks once again purplefrog-I am impressed and genuinely grateful for the advice-and taking the time to impart it-I will definately be going for one of the certificated helmets,like the Specialized you provided a link to.
I must say you have in depth knowledge,can I ask if this is simply an area that interests you,or do you have some other connection to helmet safety issues?

PurpleFrog":2dm5w8wh said:
Does the visor pop off the Xen in a crash? If not, then there's a problem - the most serious crash damage to heads is the neurological damage from rotation, which the leverage of a visor will increase. Plus a fixed visor will tend to push the helmet off the head in a crash.
The visor is only held on with a couple of small quite weedy plastic pegs, I would imagine that they would break on impact.

tozi321":k2w8d067 said:
Thanks once again purplefrog-I am impressed and genuinely grateful for the advice-and taking the time to impart it-I will definately be going for one of the certificated helmets,like the Specialized you provided a link to.
I must say you have in depth knowledge,can I ask if this is simply an area that interests you,or do you have some other connection to helmet safety issues?

I have the remains of a physics degree, and my professional life - programming and software development management - involves a lot of risk/failure chain analysis. I'm also interested in and occasionally involved with marketing and product strategy, so when I came back to cycling after a break and found that helmets had got worse I was fascinated. I was expecting them to be hugely improved by now! So I did quite a bit of research.

for a new lid i'd pop down to harry halls on whitworth street (in the railway arches). very good shop, great history back to the early days as well.
also for all you fellow single speeders check out the bike shop just of tib street. its near that abakham fabrics on oldham street, just of tib street. think its called "gbh" or something of such, very good core shop used by a lot of the towns couriers.
also have evans on deansgate or trafford centre.
hope that helps

safe trails

Back