Reccomend me a 1" Aheadset

messiah

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've never been down the 1" Aheadset route and am looking for advice on a good one. My bikes get used so this is not for a garage queen.

I usually use FSA Orbit Extreme's in 1-1/8" with great success. Is the 1" any good?

Note - I really can't justify a CK for this build.

Reccomendations please people.

FSA Orbit is just fine. Another option would be a Cane Creek for instance. But they are harder to find in 1". For a pair price, stick to the FSA. Cheers ;)

I use a 1'' orbit extreme, had it fitted since '93, no problems what so ever. never had to touch it.
as for a stem, it's a personal choice, i use a syncros one, which is solid, if you can put up with the sloping top-cap..
hope that helps

Don't forget campag, been using a record one for a good long while with its WTB greaseguard type seals, nice!

messiah":2nt37emg said:
Note - I really can't justify a CK for this build.

I've wrecked pretty much every headset I've had except a King.. Headsets and BBs are so important on a build for me, if one of them buggers up, the ride is ruined..

I wish King made BBs.. :roll:

Anyways, to be more helpful to you, I've seen quite a few NOS Shimano [threaded] 1"ers on the 'Bay..?

Messiah,

If you are planning on riding the bike and want to enjoy it, that is justification enough to put a King headset on it. Kings are expensive because the work for the long haul, the bling factor is just for extra smiles.

Don't skimp, you deserve it!

Kingroon,

Why do you wish King made BB"s when there is already a superior option...Phil Wood!

I've never heard of a Phil BB ever hitting the bin due to worn out parts, ever.

In fact, I know of a few that have outlasted the last three frames they've been installed in.

Perfection aint cheap, but when factored out over thirty years it becomes a bargin.

cheers,

rody

rody":3lc4rhks said:
Messiah,

If you are planning on riding the bike and want to enjoy it, that is justification enough to put a King headset on it. Kings are expensive because the work for the long haul, the bling factor is just for extra smiles.

Don't skimp, you deserve it!

Kingroon,

Why do you wish King made BB"s when there is already a superior option...Phil Wood!

I've never heard of a Phil BB ever hitting the bin due to worn out parts, ever.

In fact, I know of a few that have outlasted the last three frames they've been installed in.

Perfection aint cheap, but when factored out over thirty years it becomes a bargin.

cheers,

rody
beat me to it. now if phil only made a headset....

Kings rock. And you will get yor money's worth out of them. If you don't want ot be a part of the "Chris King Club" though :roll: and you just need a headset that works and will work for years to come, FSA Duron comes in a 1". I love quality componentry, but I've had a headset made up of 4 different headsets on my blizzard for three years now. And yes I ride the shit out of it. A headset is not a place you need to spend tons on unless it's a jumping or dh bike.

you can get a converter for the later shimano 1" cartridge headsets to make them threadless, and last time i lookes wiggle still had stock of the 1" stx headsets(and converters)... i bought one to use the bearings when my lx one seized.

The bearings in my FSA Orbit went weird after 18 months because they're roller bearings. And other non-cartridge bearings have only one fate. Death! Initial cost usually dictates their lifespan. One exception is Campagnolo Record, if they are loved and well maintained. But, they can command as much money as a King now.
In my opinion, cartridge replaceable bearings are best, because the headset can practically live forever due to the bearing being the only thing that wears out. We all know these are fully available over the counter at little cost.
(Imagine if all our Ti Bottom brackets didn't have replaceable cartridge bearings! I've given my main bike new BB bearings every 2 years for the last 10, and it's like new every time. I see no reason why it shouldn't last another 10 , and so on).
Two most important factors, the seals and the bearings.
Chris King isn't the only one making this type of headset.

Back