1993 Kona Explosif - Decals Fitted (P.2)

Tallpaul

Gold Trader
This could be a bit of a slow burner as I had absolutely no intention of building another bike. However, this was in my size and the deal was too good to pass over.

I'm gonna pack her up and send her off to Argos Cycles for for a complete respray.

I'm tempted to try and rebuild her to factory spec, but there are certain parts that would be tough to get and probably aren't worth the effort. Whatever I decide i will try and keep it period correct.

DSC00522.jpg

DSC00523.jpg

DSC00524.jpg

6.jpg

15.jpg

one of my fav Kona (the ti is the first) A lovely bike. Looks great, rides good, good quality build.
:cool:

Definately the best Explosif in my opinion, love the 1993 range. Are you getting it resprayed in the original colours as would love to see the results as contemplating the same on a 1993 Explosif frame I acquired.

Yup, '93 was a good vintage for Kona: stick to original colours for the respray... :cool:

Of course it's your frame & you can do whatever you like with it ;)

Current paint favourites are a fade of either:

English Silver to Flamboyant Blue

18%20english%20silver.jpg

45%20std%20flamboyant%20blue.jpg

English Silver to Oxford Blue

18%20english%20silver.jpg

28%20oxford%20blue.jpg

I guess the Oxford Blue is closer to the original, but i'd like to brighten it up a bit. The original is nice, but if i'm paying good money for a finish of my choosing i'd prefer it to be a little more eye catching.

Perhaps Monaco Blue is a compromise:

81%20monaco%20blue.jpg

I'll be giving Argos a call on Monday and discussing what they can do.

I think the Monaco blue would be my choice, looks nearer to the original. With the other two it might look more like the Fire Mountain colours of that year?

mousemat":3etph342 said:
I think the Monaco blue would be my choice, looks nearer to the original. With the other two it might look more like the Fire Mountain colours of that year?

Fire Mountain was a purple fade, the flamboyant blue is pretty similar to the Lava Dome. No bad thing as it's my favourite colour from that year, followed closely by the red of the Kilauea. The Konaretro scans don't do the colours justice, I have the original catalogue here and they are both vibrant.

I appreciate the logic of having the most conservative paint on the Explosif, but I'm not sure I agree with it ;)

8lezard":1sudap8p said:
Nice Explosif...

If I was doing a '93 Kona again I reckon I'd keep the front close to the original silver/grey colour and do the rear in something completley non-standard. Keeping the same two-tone style, but with a bit of custom!

I agree , a fiery red or orange perhaps? kaboom!

XT Thumbshifters with an 8-speed cassette? Not sure they'd shift all that well. Garage Queen or Rider?

Back