Need help identifying Hope brakes

killjoyken

Retro Newbie
My friend just picked up a 1998 or 1999 Intense Uzzi with Hope hydraulic brakes and we're trying to find out what model they are. He's hoping to put larger rotors on, especially in the back since they feel pretty weak compared to the Juicy Sevens on my bike.

I'll probably flush the fluid and scuff the pads first but I'd like to be able to find replacement pads if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

0627091925-00.jpg

0627091924-00.jpg

0627091925-01.jpg

i think you will find that they are XC4's the rotors were always small, and unfortunately they were never very powerful even when new, increasing the rotor size will help. you should still beable to get most spares no problems though.

Thanks for the info. Any idea where I can get parts to upgrade to larger rotors? I found replacement pads through Hope USA, but since the hubs use the older 47mm spacing I can't find anything rotor related.

Youi can get 5 bolt rotors from CRC. Whatever you do dont lose the spiders as you will spend months looking for replacements.

Then just use any old +10/20mm etc adaptors to space the caliper off the frame a little more.

In theory it should be simple, in practice my only experience of doing similar is proving to be a nightmare, but thats more down to the frame & fork disc tabs being slightly unorthodox on my RC500. I would hope the Intense is a little mor enormal in its disc tab designs.

I always like them, never changed from the 150/130mm rotors either. I do know that a lot of people had problems with them pumping up or just not enough power though. They don't feel as powerful as the modern stuff, but i still have them after 9yrs. They are now on the Bonty

Better still, get a set of minis or M4s to improve power and let me have the XC4's. Not the most powerful brakes by a long way, but they'd be nice on my Morati.

I know my friend isn't into the retro thing and is more interested in strong stoppers so I'm sure he'd be interested in selling them. Make an offer and I'll relay it to him. :) I'm sure it will be easier for you to get replacement parts on your side of the pond.

Back