Suntour thumbies

sastusbulbas

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Suntour thumbies, cant even remember the model, but they can do 7 or 8 speed, not sure if they work with Shimano? Never used them, been in a box of stuff for years.

018.jpg

022-1.jpg

023-1.jpg

They're XC Expert, I have two pairs, plus a pair of XC Pro just fitted to my S-Works '94 FSR. They're running with a late 90s XT mech and an 8-speed SRAM cassette and shift surprisingly well, i.e. no skips once well adjusted.

I could never get mine to work "perfectly" with a Shimano cassete.
But they're still the nicest thumbies to use.

SunTour thumbshifters work pretty well with both 7- and 8-speed Shimano-spaced cassettes. SunTour cassettes are spaced at 4.8mm for half the block and 5.0mm for the other half; Shimano 7-speed is 5.0mm and 8-speed is 4.8mm for the whole cassette. So, get things spot-on in the middle of a Shimano cassette and they'll still be close enough to shift okay at the ends. Remember that Kona used to spec bikes with 8-speed SunTour thumbshifters and 8-speed Shimano cassettes and no-one seemed to complain.

I'm currently running SunTour XC-Pro 8-speed thumbshifters with a late-90s XT rear mech and a SRAM 8-speed cassette and the whole lash-up works a lot better than I ever expected it would... at least when it's clean ;)

In my case, tt wasn't the Suntour/ Shimano mix; The frame had a bent rear mech hanger [cough!] :LOL:
Using indexed mode, the Shimano thumbies compensated for it better than the Suntour did.

Back