Quick Roadie Components Guide please

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just working out my 1x9er plan and getting a bit confused.
Thought the cassette I have was Dura-Ace but its only Ultegra...is there a big diff.
Rear mech? I want a nine speed...do I need a short cage with 12-23 cassette? What this with triple rear mechs?
So...for a numpty like me.....how about a quick run down of whats good and whats not.
Cheers
Carl
Oh...maybe along the lines Dura-Ace = XTR etc

DA=XTR. Ultra light, but possibly at the expense of durability.
Ultegra SL = Ultegra plus marketing.
Ultegra = XT. Solid kit, functionally the same as DA, more durable.
105 = Deore LX / SLX, but probably a lot closer to Ultegra than LX is to XT. Good functional kit, but visible cost compromises (e.g. chainrings made from cardboard).

And electric DA: for those who think that £350 is a sensible price to pay for a front mech. For that cash it's cheaper to pay someone to ride next to you and change the gear for you. I'd want a mech made out of Panda skin for that kind of money.

good run down hamster. .
Adding to the equation, yup the DA cassette is twice the price of Ultegra as it gets ti sprockets, like XTR vs XT.

THe short cage rear will do 12-23 no probs. The longer cages, on the 'triple' road groupsets will take the large diameter chainrings that a modern 'compact' MTB setup isn't happy with.. It has the mechs more akin to old 110mm pattern MTB stuff really.
You oly need the mong cage rear if running like an 11-32 on triple up front.

Perfect...thanks Hamster :D

Anyone want to chip in re: rear mechs? I guess all road mechs are short cage compared to MTB....so which should I go for with the Ultrega 12-23 (I think) cassette and single ring up front?

Thanks Nick.....you posted that as I was typing :LOL:

I'm only going to run a 32 up front....this isn't going to built for speed.
Short cage it is

with groupsets, the one you buy is always correct. .....
the one above what yuo can afford is a waste of money, the one below what you have bought is inferior quality.

Get what you can reasonably afford if youre dabbling and upgrade if you take to it, as bits wear.

You could feasibly race on tiagra and can pootle to the shops on dura-ace, so dont get caught up into the modern must-have.

Good point. Go to a Kermesse or something in Belgium and most of the riders in the smaller pro teams ride 105 level kit.

The only problem with Tiagra is that it's a bit heavy - but it's great winter kit whatever.

Anyway, more of us would get a lot more speed from spending £500 in a gym trainer to thin out our lardy selves than on upgrades... :D

I have 2009 Shimano 105, I've got 50/39/30 on the front and a 10 speed 12-27 on the back. I have a short-cage rear mech and can use the largest 5 sprockets in the granny ring before the chain flaps. I can use every gear in the middle ring bar the smallest two.

This set-up means I have a gear for every occasion, although on the down-hills I spin-out somewhere about 40 mph. The shifting quality is excellent. Hope this helps.

Harryburgundy":pskkb0bj said:
Perfect...thanks Hamster :D

Anyone want to chip in re: rear mechs? I guess all road mechs are short cage compared to MTB....so which should I go for with the Ultrega 12-23 (I think) cassette and single ring up front?

Short cage with a 12-23 and single ring. As for casettes, go for Ultegra over Dura Ace, it doesn't weigh much more, is cheaper and lasts longer. My old TT bike is full DA down to the headset and BB, it is beautiful stuff.

Go for Dura Ace,I've been using /racing on it for years,ignore what has been said about lack of durability,I ran 105 on the winter bike for 1 winter and it was trashed so then put Ultegra on,same again.I then got 10spd Dura Ace for the race bike so put the 9spd stuff on the winter hack,its now been on there 3 winters and only needed a few brake pads/chains/and one new cable set!

Back