ok folks, If there had to be JUST ONE...

For me it would have to be the Fat Chance Yo Eddy. Why? Not sure i can really explain. Just ticks all the right boxes for me at least. Steel, light, wild colours, sharp ride...
Significantly for retrobike my rekindled interest in all things retro was started by my desire for a Yo Eddy. This led to me frequenting a few other retro forums and ultimately setting up his place :D

Although Wu-Tangled could be right about the pink/white/green attitude...

Think you may be right John, and in an aqua fade probably.

But I still can't get the Attitude out of me' head.

Maybe the decided icon of Retrobike should be the top trumps wildcard supercard that nothing can beat on any front? (top trumps progressing slowly I promise :D )

Gus

Wu-Tangled":uief7hjt said:

Cheers :D ;)

Think one of the beautys of 'this retro thing' is it means different things to different people.

John":ku4lg7c5 said:
Wu-Tangled":ku4lg7c5 said:

Cheers :D ;)

Think one of the beautys of 'this retro thing' is it means different things to different people.

Have to jump on the Fat Chance Yo! Bandwagon..

Awesome bike and I haven't even ridden one yet.. Just seemed to epitomise the more fun/less corporate side of biking when racing and sponsorship was ramping up [GT, Trek, Specialized to name but three Big Ones] in the 90s..

Here here for the Egalitarianism of RetroBike! [Starts singing the theme to Cheers..]

The "ONE"

didn't Salsa kinda set a precedent for head and seat tube angles back in the day ? they are kinda cool and rare and exquisitely built - anti-corporation - wild colours - see Jellybean - don't know how the ride compares with Fat Chance - but once my Wicked is complete i'll find out .... Oh and i've had one since the late 80's ! Much as i liked Klein and Pace i was never convinced that Alu bikes were anything more than an effort to save money all those years ago when it was MUCH cheaper than good quality steel .... my second choice would be a Yeti ARC .... all those World's - so many huge named riders ..... quite the opposite from Salsa

Re: The "ONE"

I have to agree with the Yo votes but we really are splitting hairs here!
although ranetsu does put a good point :D

Ransetsu":1did2wzx said:
my second choice would be a Yeti ARC .... all those World's - so many huge named riders

the arc is certainly the most successful race bike, probably the most famous as well,but does that make it THE ONE? the orange 224 has won the most races in the modern era but i certainly dont want one.

not biased or anything :roll:

Raleigh Tomac replica. Sorry no explanation or anything it just has that thang.

RALEIGH_MERLIN2.jpg

I'm not really a Klein fan. We used to make fun of them down at the LBS, along with C-dales. We called it Beer Can Tubing, and they always dented (at least the ones I saw)...

...That was until I went to the Mount Snow NORBA in 1994, and saw Tinker Juarez race his Nightstorm Attitude. I was 14, and watched from the top of the first dirt road climb. When Tinker came up that sucker in the big ring, bike lengths ahead of the field, I thought something biblical was going to happen. 40 days and nights of rain, parting of the red seas... you name it. It was like he was tearing a hole in the fabric of space and time with his legs.

He didn't win that day, Tomes did, but afterwards I went to the Klein tent to get an autograph. There, in all its east coast muddy glory, was the Nightstorm Klein, adorned with every piece of purple componentry available.
I couldn't believe something that beautiful could have been abused so bad.

For me, that was what bling was all about. The Experimental Raleigh Tomes was riding was cool, along with Juli's GT, but the Nightstorm Klein seals the deal as the definitive retro bike.

Tinker didn't race for Klein the following year, and I never saw a pic of the Nightstorm Klein until I found this site and took a look at Carsten's, which is now our BOTM. Also, one just got outed over at MTBR VRC, but the website is down right now. It has the matching rigid fork. Unbelievable.

I still dont care much for them, too expensive them and even more expensive now! But I'm glad other people have them and are sharing pics. :D

ameybrook":1c0tgd3c said:
When Tinker came up that sucker in the big ring, bike lengths ahead of the field, I thought something biblical was going to happen. 40 days and nights of rain, parting of the red seas... you name it. It was like he was tearing a hole in the fabric of space and time with his legs.

For me, that was what bling was all about. The Experimental Raleigh Tomes was riding was cool, along with Juli's GT, but the Nightstorm Klein seals the deal as the definitive retro bike.

I still dont care much for them, too expensive them and even more expensive now! But I'm glad other people have them and are sharing pics. :D

Now that's what I call a good argument - Amey, I think it'd be hard to beat that one down in court.

And absolutely where this was coming from - Don't much care for something, but still able to vote it as the icon of a generation...

top show old chap, top show.

Latest posts

Back