1994 GT Ricochet with complete STX SE (special edition)

captain8track":37gi8hvu said:
that's right, and then it was the Mag 10 - mag 21 and mag 21 sl ti

but it would be kind of cool of having a NOS Quad on my own wall...

true.

cchris2lou":37gi8hvu said:
nice clean build .

Thank you. I was fortunate enough to only have to replace a couple broken parts, but other than that, this one came nearly like it did when it was bought from the LBS bitd.

cce":37gi8hvu said:
lovely old "real" bike in mint condition. these are the things most people rode, not M900 Fats

Thank you, and very true....as a kid, I would never have been able to afford a Fat, and would have been laughed out the room had I gone in to ask my mom for one :?

...though I do have a M900 Fat hanging around as well now ;)

cce":3erzy6xu said:
lovely old "real" bike in mint condition. these are the things most people rode, not M900 Fats

+1 nice and clean, even the wheel reflectors :D

kaiser":2jln6dkp said:
cce":2jln6dkp said:

+1 nice and clean, even the wheel reflectors :D

Haha, good eye.

Thanks; I was going to take them off, but thought otherwise...for now.

***update***
Saw the sticky thread regarding spec listing, and decided to make use of it, so here's a proper spec sheet:

Interesting - thanks for the explanation on STX-SE - I have the same Chromica stuff on my tandem - even the hubs have lasted the beating, although the coating is beginning to blister.

The cranks with chromica always looked really nice to me - and much more upmarket. It's a pity that Shimano dropped the idea.

hamster":p0egzmtt said:
Interesting - thanks for the explanation on STX-SE - I have the same Chromica stuff on my tandem - even the hubs have lasted the beating, although the coating is beginning to blister.

The cranks with chromica always looked really nice to me - and much more upmarket. It's a pity that Shimano dropped the idea.

No problem, and I agree, the groupset looked more upmarket, especially for that price point.

GT Ergo grips

Congratulations for your beautiful piece of history. Im from Argentina, I just achieved one of my pending goals: find a pretty good 1994 GT Tequesta. I have only two missing parts: One is a pair of spare ergobar grips and the original seat. The hard one are the grips. Do you heard of any source of them????
Thanks!!!

This is very similar to my first real mountain bike. I had a GT Timberline FS. It had an STX rear der. and I think the rest was Altus. Or maybe it was all STX. I forget now. Pretty sure the Ricochet was the model just above it. Mine had the Quadra 5 on it, man what a iece of junk that was! At least it got me into the sport something good. I always disliked the indented underside of the top tube, made it hard to shoulder the bike. Or maybe it was hard to shoulder the bike because I was a teenage weakling with a 35lb bike.

Cool build Rob, it's nice to see a complete spec build on a lower end bike. Can I ask why you chose this bike to make whole again?

moa":19bb2qji said:
Congratulations for your beautiful piece of history. Im from Argentina, I just achieved one of my pending goals: find a pretty good 1994 GT Tequesta. I have only two missing parts: One is a pair of spare ergobar grips and the original seat. The hard one are the grips. Do you heard of any source of them????
Thanks!!!

They come up on ebay once and a while- they go cheap, so just keep an eye out. The ergobar was definitely the high point of this bike.

AtomicAtom":19bb2qji said:
This is very similar to my first real mountain bike. I had a GT Timberline FS. It had an STX rear der. and I think the rest was Altus. Or maybe it was all STX. I forget now. Pretty sure the Ricochet was the model just above it. Mine had the Quadra 5 on it, man what a iece of junk that was! At least it got me into the sport something good. I always disliked the indented underside of the top tube, made it hard to shoulder the bike. Or maybe it was hard to shoulder the bike because I was a teenage weakling with a 35lb bike.

Cool build Rob, it's nice to see a complete spec build on a lower end bike. Can I ask why you chose this bike to make whole again?

Thanks Atom, I had the parts, and picked up the bike mostly whole for a cheap price...it was mostly for nostalgia as cheap mass produced hunks was mostly what I was able to afford bitd as a kid from a lower income family.

Back