FAO klein headset experts...

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Bit of a knock in the headset on the attitude.

Previous owner advised new bearing were fitted recently (not by Trek). Is it likely refitting these bearings will do the trick? Or do I need new ones?

Got a quote from Trek which is quite, er, strong :shock:

Any DIY options? Might see if I can pick a tool up. Is this the right one for MC1 ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &rd=1&rd=1

Come on Carsten, I'm counting on you :D

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
at your service, sir...

that tool is not really suited for the MC1 head set. it's meant for the later MC3 head sets and requires to pound the fork out with a hammer. that's an option on the MC1 fork too (but only if the bearings are shot) but as the steerer tube does not stick out much above the head tube it is tricky and needs an adapter. i dont know if the one in that tool kit will fit properly.

what's the problem with the bearings? play? if they are really new they should not have play yet.

check if the fork is properly pressed into the bearings. it may have come loose and slid down a bit. then the play would not be in the bearings but between steerer tube and bearings. there's a ring/thickening at the upper end of the steerer tube which is the bearing seat. if you remove the MC1 and the rubber cap you should see the upper end of that ring ending just above the bearing. if you see a gap between the bearing and steerer tube the fork is not fully inserted.

you can see the upper bearing seat here

1010UVUnikleinback.jpg

also, below the lower bearing seat there's a groove in which the lip of the lower seal should sit. if that groove is visible below the seal the fork is not inserted properly or slid out a bit. difficult to explain...

Carsten

Carsten,

many thanks. Will take a look, probably be back for more advice :D

Back