1995 Orange P7 Nickel. updates on page 2.

what colour should i make the frame?

• matt/satin black.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • gloss black

• leave as is.

• clean up and re-nickel plate.

• Total voters

a.davis12

Old School Hero
Frankenbike!
semi done.
P7300135.jpg

(more pictures on pg 2)
CIMG4885.jpg

CIMG4889.jpg

Ive ridden this nearly everyday since its been finished and am very happy with it(except the seat). Im thinking i will keep the drop bar set up, i quite like the way it rides. Except swap the bars for standard clamps and put the old stem on.
The cranks you see are gone, the drive side arm seized onto the bottom bracket and i was lucky to be able to unscrew the bb with a set of c-clip expander pliers (it was that loose after daily wd-40ing). theyve been replaced with a set of m-582 LX cranks + a blackspire ring.

Have also added a quick realase type diacompe straddle holder headset spacer thing for the front, really impressed with how it works.

My definite plans are:
strip and spray the frame + stem + seatpost, rebuild wheels(with new front hubs + spokes + rims + nipples), get new brakes, headset and most other parts:p

Planned build as follows:
BOLD indicates already have/on the way.
Frame: Orange P7 Respray
Fork: Orange F7 Respray
Headset: King Black Sotto Voce
Stem: Orange SK8 Respray
Handlebar: Drop Bar
Grips: Cinelli Purple Splash tape
Brakes: Paul Touring Cantis Black
Brake Pads: Kool stop.
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Onza chill pillz in purple
Brake Levers: Cane Creek SCR-5 Levers (black)
Cassette: Dicta Freewheel 17t
Chain: SRAM
Cranks: Shimano LX or Hones
Chainrings: Black Spire DH 46t
Chainring bolts: Possibly Purple ones or just Black
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: Shimano XT
Hub Skewers: Front, nice Purple or black one.
Rims: Mavic 317 Black
Hubs: White industries eno rear/M15 front both in black
Nipples: Halo purple
Spokes: DT Revo
Tyres: Undecided.
Tubes: Fly weights.
Saddle: Charge Spoon or something else if it doesnt get more comfy soon
Seatpost: Orange Resprayed (need to make the rail clamp for this)
Seatpost Binder: Odyssey Svelte Purple
Misc: Purple Ti or Al bolts for bottle cages + brakes and other bits.

Weight: around 9.4kg, less with light tyres. (spreadsheetsimate)

Whats wrong with the wheels on there already.. rear looks good from what I can see, fronts fine as well.

King headsets, yet thinking if still using STX components... odd choice of spending yor money.

Your about 17yrs old I gather... nice too see young blood in the retro world

rear wheel is a 700c alex rim POS with an on the way out freehub body, Means i cant run a rear brake as it is (unless i get paul motolite BMXs).

Front hub would be nice to keep, but the bearings are shot (would need complete rebuild) and i hate assymetry so would have to source a matching rear anyway.

front hub must match rear. :p

Nice frame. Looks in better nick than mine was (I went for a respray). I agree with comments about the headset. That going to be a lot of money for a King. Go for it if you like but I'd see what the cups are like in the headset first and maybe just replace the ball bearings or just look on the 'for sale' section for a 1" shimano replacement. If you're going singlespeed then I woudn't try hard to keep it retro, but if you decide to go geared then I'd try to keep it a bit more retro. All in my humble opinion of course - which you can ignore ;)

andrewl":2j6kpajv said:
I was going to buy this from you, but thought you'd sold it already...

i had, but i didnt sell it as i thought it had cracks. it still might but im fairly sure (well i hope anyway) that it doesnt.

kings arent that expensive. i already have two, theyre just an unnecessary necessary:p

im probably going to get new brakes now anyway, i think ive put the other project on hold.

black or silver cantis/levers?
Paul FTW.

Have ordered a replacement seatpost until i can get a new clamp. aswell as both black and purple onza chill pills.

Also, as i seriously dislike internal BB cranksets (puts flame suit on:p) im going for a new outboard bearing type set.

do people think i should run SLXs or XTs? Im sort of leaning towards XTs as i think they would look better on the bike.
but SLXs are tempting because they are cheaper.

Just a thought, but would you not have difficulty getting a good chainline with an extrnal BB on a bike designed for interna BB ? Maybe its less critical with a single speed ?

I've found reliable and unreliable BBs with both internal and external designs. I've found Shimano ones pretty good, and not been very impressed with Truvativ offerings.

raymondluxuryyacht":1nlhd3bx said:
Just a thought, but would you not have difficulty getting a good chainline with an extrnal BB on a bike designed for interna BB ? Maybe its less critical with a single speed ?

I've found reliable and unreliable BBs with both internal and external designs. I've found Shimano ones pretty good, and not been very impressed with Truvativ offerings.

Im running outboard SLX cranks on my other SS and have no troubles with chainline. and becuase the P7 has a 68mm BB, there is 5mm of adjustment at the bb (on top of switching ring position).

Its not so much because of reliability that i dont like them, i just find them not as stiff and also a pain to install and remove.
yeah truvative dont do anything for me. only cranks id run by them is their omnium track cranks...but thats a different project. shimano FTW too!

Back