Tim Gould's Team Peugeot Roberts White Spider

Fantastic historical build happening here.
The frame is from the era when I 1st started to gain an interest in MTB racing & reading mags. Would the Peugeot team not have used Campagnolo at that time?

The bike

My memory of bikes back then..

Tim and Dave Baker turned up at the Grizedale race in 1988 and won on std Peugout bikes and then i believe had Roberts models made soon after because the Peugout's were so rubbish. I was an Expert class MTB racer at the time and around Tims team sometimes. Nobody used Bioracer rings after 1988 as they didnt work, toeclips went out around winter 1990, replaced mainly by Shimano spd's. 28lbs seems a tank, my orange Prestige was about 26lbs with the very vulnerable MTB versions of the MA40.

peugeot

hey

i recognise that orange sticker on the handlebars, if memory is right they were stuck on the bikes after being through scrutinering at the grundig world cup.. 1990 i think?. probably raced at aviemore? or one of the other rounds.

Since last time - the critical parts got sourced and the timeline is making more sense.

Headset held me up a bit: 600 Ultegra headsets seem to be gaining a following but are out there:

I want it to be a rider, so went for a TA Axis ti BB in the end [thanks for fitting 'em Bikeshopowner - I hoped you'd get kick out of it ;)]; hub spares from SJS but had to adapt M737 - anyone know of alternative suppliers of old shimano spares?

Still looking for a 1.5” hardpack which I’ll pair with something fat up front, but as a stop gap, grabbed some Conti Cross Countrys which have a nice rustwall that doesn’t look out of place, especially given the saddle colour. Will also get the wheels restrung before I use it with gusto.

Original brake blocks remain elusive [and with NOS M730 cantis topping the £100 mark :shock:, they may remain so]. Jockey wheels replaced with a decent 600ex ceramic item and a shed spare.

(Also found a sweet NOS period Bell helmet)

So, have got enough to complete a first build up which I’ve done rather hastily to get it in for BOTM. Will post more pics here shortly.

In many ways, the build is the easy part of this project: putting together the bike’s history presents a subtler [if no less enjoyable] task.

But with race pics from this site, youtube -- [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LjFTFh0hio]

-- and a video I had transferred to DVD, I think I’ve got the basic timeline.

(I've got some copies of the DVD which is cracking – plenty of Tim Davies and Jake Elliot action too ;), and lots more; I'll distribute via another thread.)

For now, here’s the basic chronology:

1988: (Roberts?) frames in blue and white with mostly Shimano kit: note the big brake levers, roadie stems and frogleg cantis. Has one of the bikes got a CR headbadge, the other a Peugeot one?

1989: This is the year of my bike. Roberts frames in red white and blue, straight forks. Looks like the earlier 89 races were Shimano and then they went to Campag. Pic below & Fred Salmon’s bike in the Youtube link [about 5 mins in].

1990; This is the year they go to Campag [which I think coincides with the introduction of Centaur, perhaps a more race-pitched group than already available Euclid]. I thought that the frames were Roberts too, but having looked at the Mountain Bike Action vid, I’m unsure. Unfortunately, I can’t find a way to grab a still from the DVD, but it shows Tim on a blue, Campag-equipped steed which has 2 rear mudguard bosses. The same vid has some footage of his Durango exploits. Here the machine is again blue, but with Ritchey logos, and what looks like it might be a Ritchey style seat-clamp arrangement. It’s hard to be sure though: if anyone has better footage of the World’s, I’d love to know. (And thanks GWC90 for clearing up what that orange sticker was for – it had been puzzling me; I’m glad it’s got some significance.)

1991; Ritchey frames and Campag. [Although I haven't got a year for the ad, the bike matches one from 1991 in the Mountain bike racing book that Tim and Simon Burney published that year; it's simillar to Rich's photo earlier in the thread too.

Having taken it apart and worked out the basic history, I’ve now got a worthwhile bunch of questions which I should easily be able to answer through a lead from Flyingwelshman [much obliged]. Beyond that, the next steps are to fine tune the build and get into the race scene from 1989.

So go on dig out those mags – who won which races, where, during that fine year? Any videos available?

Finally, on bike weight, from Mountain bike racing:

"Tim’s bikes have never been the lightest, usually 26-28lb, but he rarely has problems with unreliable bikes."

And with the new BB, tyres, tubes and pedals, it’s down to a shade under 26lbs which I can easily live with.

:D

DB

Attachments

• Headset.JPG
    Headset.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 79
  • Contis.JPG
    Contis.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 80
  • tim gould and david baker late eighties Quantock Quest 2.jpg
    tim gould and david baker late eighties Quantock Quest 2.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 80
  • MTB Vid 1990.JPG
    MTB Vid 1990.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 77
  • tim gould and david baker late eighties Quantock Quest.jpg
    tim gould and david baker late eighties Quantock Quest.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Durangos Peebles pic Peugeot with straight fork what year.jpg
    Durangos Peebles pic Peugeot with straight fork what year.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 77
  • tims_post_bike_164.jpg
    tims_post_bike_164.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 76
  • Tim_Gould_Malvern 1989 Aug.jpg
    Tim_Gould_Malvern 1989 Aug.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 79
Hi there, that's great work.

I have a hardpack 1.5 hanging up in my garage its old and used but OK I think. Was going to put it on the Pace when I eventually sorted it out. But your cause is far more worthy.

PM me with address if you want it. I live in Denmark and am on holiday for a couple of weeks so it may take a while to get you.

The Gould

Id suggest getting in touch with Harry Gould (hlgould at btinternet.com) to start off with and he will put you in touch with Tim

What a fantasic job you've done on that. It looks absolutely fantastic and I know from experience that is worth every second of your time and ever pound from your pocket, now ride it and enjoy it Doctor Bond.

Right-o, time for a few built pics. Not 100% yet, more of a dress rehersal.

Many thanks for all the support so far: the collective knowledge and resources of this site are awesome.

I've got a few irons in the fire with regard to getting in touch with those who knew the bike back in the day. Will post here when I know more.

pTebym3A_o.jpg

yeHFY7EN_o.jpg

9gdtvgcw_o.jpg

tT8H0BKo_o.jpg

v5gqkjzq_o.jpg

:D

Frame: Chas Roberts Fillet Brazed in Reynolds 753.
Fork: Chas Roberts Straight blade in 753 [and Columbus?]; columbus drop outs.
Headset: Shimano 600 Ultegra.
Stem: ? Black Tbone-like cromo something or other.
Handlebar: Specialized, cut down, worn with the bend down.
Grips: Grab ons.

Brakes: Shimano XT M730
Brake Pads: Aztec
Brake Cables: Shimano SLR 2mm
Brake Levers: Shimano XT M733 2 finger

Shifters: XT M732 7 spd thumbs
Front Derailleur: XT M732
Rear Derailleur: XT M732
Derailleur Cables: No Name
Cassette: Shimano 7spd Hyperglide 13 -26
Chain: Sram
Cranks: Shimano M730