1999 Raleigh MaxLite HT3

Senri

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
In the beginning of the 90's I really wanted to buy an MTB. I went through all the reviews, shops, magazines etc. It took more then a year to find my top bike. Somehow, I never came to really buying it (just for the record, I set my heart on a Cannondale M800).
In 1999 when I was working and had enough money, I passed a bikeshop and saw this Raleigh in the shop window. Entirely against my character, I just went in and bought it!! I have used it for periods to go to work, to ride local trails, to shop etc, but now it is my standard MTB for the tracks here. I have changed a lot of components over the years, so it is not really time correct, but I really have gotten attached to it! Recently I changed the fork, headset, stem and the handlebar after a crash were I broke the original SR Suntour forks. I think it is finished now. Nothing special, but anyway, here it is.
DSCN3154sm.jpg

DSCN3155sm.jpg

DSCN3156sm.jpg

DSCN3159sm.jpg

Haven't seen it before but the frame looks indestuctable! Looks like it'll last for years.

I think it's an alu frame?

Yes, it is aluminium. The tubes are stretched so far to make them eliptical, that the sides are extermely thin. It sounds like foil and I think I can feel it move when I press it!!! But it is pretty stiff.

Never seen one of these before, Looks pretty tricked up :cool:

I know the Raleigh Max was Max in the weight department and low end model, Is the MaxLite any lighter in weight or is it sill a lumpy beast.

Does look cool with all the different angles etc :cool:

Cheers

My scale is not really accurate, but with the old fork, headset, stem and handlebar, I measured once 13.6kg (30 pounds). I actually don't think the frame is too bad (weight wise), but I will try to get a more accurate reading in the current state.
But whatever, it won't be light :LOL:

Re:

Hmm liking the clean lines.. but I thought I'd add mine to the list..

Attachments

• DSCF2303.JPG
    DSCF2303.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 1,802
Hi don't suppose you know the seatpost size do you please?

I got an HT2's to rebuild and can't tell if it's a 29.6 ir 30.4 and no spec online I can find, they look like the same frame, cheers.

Back