Stiffness of an Alan frame?

Senri

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I am in the process of building up an Alan frame for a fixed project. I had the frame for some time, but never riden it. Yesterday I just sat on it (it has no drive train yet) to get some first settings for saddle and handlebar and I was struck by how felxible the whole frame is. I can fairly easy torque the frame between seatpost and headtube. Is this normal?

I do not know whether that is a proper way to test a bike's flex.

That Alan you're speaking of isn't that 'cracked' Versteege?

My 57x57 size Alan Super Record is to some extent flexy. With hammering the bb area flexes, but with normal touring not so much going on. It is not understeered in the corner like some other bikes I have ridden. It offers a decent amount of comfort, but not as much as that understeered bike. I find it offering a very acceptable and enjoying ride. I am approx 70kg.

Many titles were conquered on Alan trackbikes btw, so that suggests you get yourself a proper basis for fixie.

Yes, you are right, it is the cracked Versteege. That is one of the reasons I found it "allowed" to use it for a fixed project. Although, the possibility to take all bosses of is a nice thing too! I have made sure that the flex is not coming from the cracks.
I have no idea about what normal flex is and I wouldn't even test it as I have no reference, I just felt it when I stepped on the bike and I never experienced that before. As this is my first bonded frame, I thought maybe you could verify at least increased flex in comparison to a "normal" steel frame (whatever normal steel maybe :?: ).

Mine is flexier than my same sized steel 531 c frame, but not so i'd really worry. Also more flexy than my e-stay mountain bike

I had a 70s Alan track frame that was 60x59 and it was dead flexy.
A very nice ride though. NOt suited to standing, but for seated riding with a smooth cadence the ride was very comfortable and smooth. Hard torquing (even seated) was enough to flex it noticeably though.

http://velospace.org/node/7664

yo-Nate-y":oxr6lepl said:
I had a 70s Alan track frame that was 60x59 and it was dead flexy.
A very nice ride though. NOt suited to standing, but for seated riding with a smooth cadence the ride was very comfortable and smooth. Hard torquing (even seated) was enough to flex it noticeably though.

http://velospace.org/node/7664

Nice bike

I often hear an Alan in a large size is for many too flexy.

Also with my 57x57 I notice flex when pedalling seated and putting torque on the pedals. For me it still at acceptable level.

Elev12k":1aivjf3g said:
dookie":1aivjf3g said:
these were bonded alloy, by vitus?

No, Alan was Italian and older

Vitus were French

i know it's a different company, but weren't the alan bonded frames made by vitus? there were a bunch of rebranded 979/992/carbones out there, no? thought this might be one...

hmmm...maybe not. http://www.magma.ca/~cagrant/Vitus.html

the guerciotti was one of the ones i was remembering...made by alan in fact, wouldya look at that!

You're right on that there were a bunch of issues of Vitus frames. For example in Holland the Jan Janssen brand carried Vitus frames in their line up. They had 'Jan Janssen' on the downtube and said Vitus on the toptube. Like with those SC1 and CL1 mountainbikes >>

vitus93420h.jpg

View more here

With Alan it was more or less the same. Example of the Guerciotti branded Alan >>

472482471_822e488561.jpg

There also was the fancy Colnago twin-tube edition :shock:

Nowadays outsourcing complete frames is the most common practice. Back then it was more unique.

Back