ok folks, If there had to be JUST ONE...

Enough with the anti-kona comments already. I never owned one, but I do like them and you gotta hand it to them for marching ahead with a geometry that makes a 93 line up bike look pretty bloody modern compared with a Spesh of the same year.

I've got a mag review from MTB Pro of your Cinder Cone if it's of interest?

Wu-tangled, that article would be great, have PMd you :D

was only being sarcastic about the anti-kona comments - maybe i need a sarcasm emoticon to make me clearer! just wanted to give a fuller answer and/or generate some debate as I like the thread idea :)

yeah, clearly wasn't aimed at you fella - as you like 'em ;)

Will sort out scan tomorrow. It's a good test - up against my Rockhopper Comp.

Do you come back from 'going ti'? It's lost it's appeal a bit these days hasn't it what with lighter and cheaper options available, but somehow when you were weened on the dream of the ti superbikes, it's hard to knock that feeling on the head when you can afford/ justify one.

For me, the overburys pioneer, cos i wanted one in 89 but had to settle for a bear valley and i loved that one as well.

I went Ti as I saw it as an extension of steel - similar ride, just lighter and without the corrosion issues (also looks way cool!), in 2001 there were'nt too many steel hi-end bikes around that i liked (the 2001 Explosif was scandium :shock: )

I've got an Airborne Luckystrike which i think is quite retro in it's style: - dekerf style seatsays and a long toptube with sharp steering, a bit like the Kona - the Kona will be rigid so as to offer me something different

just got a Ti Audax bike (a racer that's a bit more relaxed and can fit mudguards/rack - but not as relaxed/heavy as a proper tourer) and I love it to pieces, so fast and yet very comfortable - just need some DT swiss wheels to make me zip faster :D

EDIT - forgot to say I don't belive in carbon for frames, poor second impact strength, degrades with oil/sun - a good steel Ti bike will pretty much last my lifetime (at least that's how i justified the cost!)

kona kid":1byad0b8 said:
just need some DT swiss wheels to make me zip faster :D

getting away from my path here, but I may be about to flog some Spinergy Spox (super light and well pimp) 700c wheels if you are interested. Great for road or cross.

I went ti and just kept getting more ti. Am back to one now.

Still can't help thinking the answer is a '90 Attitude in Green/ white/ pink.

Pace RC-100 designed in 1989 to do the job without compromise to fashion or industry standards of the time ;)

retroking#1":2acdxuon said:
Pace RC-100 designed in 1989 to do the job without compromise to fashion or industry standards of the time ;)

returned to the warranty department in a shoe box in 91 :LOL: <joke> ;)

Breezer. Any. A direct link to one of the founding fathers and a special frame to boot. Sums up the whole ethos of retro.

Steel
Rigid
Minimalist
Astheticly pleasing
Historically significant

Could also use Ritchey but Breezer's were more visible to me in my youth.

Back