My Modern Ride - 2008 Cove Handjob

mousemat

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Just thought I'd post a pic of my modern ride, keeping it steel it's a 2008 Cove Handjob XC (name still makes me chuckle! :roll: ). Lovely spring steel ride and goes like a whippet!

Frame: 2008 Cove Handjob, custom Columbus tubeset

Fork: 2008 Rock Shox Revelation, dual-air, U-turn, 110-140mm

Headset: CHris King No threadset sotto vocce
Stem: Raceface Evolve XC
Handlebar: Raceface Evolve XC low riser
Grips: Oury lock-on
Barends: n/a

Brakes: Hope Mini Mono
Brake Pads: Hope Mini Mono
Brake Cables: Hope
Cantilever cable hangers: n/a
Brake Levers: Hope Mini Mono

Shifters: Shimano XTR M970
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT M770
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT Shadow
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano 9spd
Chain: Shimano HG
Cranks: Shimano XT M770 Hollowtech II
Crank Bolts: Shimano XT
Chainrings: Shimano XT
Chainring bolts: n/a
Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT Hollowtech II
Pedals: DMR V8 flats

Hub Skewers: Hope Titanium
Rims: Mavic X819
Hubs: Hope Pro II
Nipples: Alloy
Spokes: Stainless black
Tyres: Maxxis Ignitor
Tubes: Kenda presta valve

Saddle: Charge Spoon
Seatpost: Raceface Evolve XC
Seatpost Binder: Cove

Weight: unknown

IMG_2469.jpg

Nice, I had one of these for a couple of years it handled everything very well. i did hobble it though with some crazy heavy wheels.

Looks nice in white( never thought I would say that about a bike)

Sweet, This appeals to me much more than the Stiffee now, can it handle the rough stuff anywhere near a FR bike? They are from the rough and tumble Cove country so I'm sure it can handle AM type riding, if you read into these niches that is! :D Suppose what i mean is, its not going to break or scare ya when it gets gnarly. Is it quality hand made then? Do you have any other bikes in the back catalogue to compare it to?

Not a fan of Cove graphics but the bikes apparently handle very well which is what matters :D

reanimation":17oisima said:
Sweet, This appeals to me much more than the Stiffee now, can it handle the rough stuff anywhere near a FR bike? They are from the rough and tumble Cove country so I'm sure it can handle AM type riding, if you read into these niches that is! :D Suppose what i mean is, its not going to break or scare ya when it gets gnarly. Is it quality hand made then? Do you have any other bikes in the back catalogue to compare it to?

Can't comment on how it handles FR style riding as I use it for cross country. I would say that if you're into your FR then the Stiffee would be better as it's more robust and can take a 150mm fork whereas the Handjob is designed for 100-130mm. Not sure if it's handmade, I'd be inclined to say not.

My opinion: For me it rides like an old Kona, whippy back end, low long sloping top tube but with a higher front end to accomadate the fork. It's stable and handles really well and inpires confidence for me. Prior to this I had a Kona Caldera built like a tank alu supposedly All Mountain thing, very stiff but not built to cope with a fork longer than 100mm travel. Very much prefer the natural spring of steel to the stiffness of alu. Hope that helps?

Aye sounds nice for us old skoolers that. :)

After resetting self by getting back to my retro roots, I'm probably not a FR type, but I do like to keep a versatile bike, so curious about the great steelie moderns.

Cheers :cool:

Back