Marin 1990 Bear Valley Rebuild - FINISHED !!! PAGE 38 !!!

I think it would do well in a botm. Some of the bikes that have something other than flash paint or bling mechs. I've voted for a fairly standard but well presented rockhopper in the past, it was the bike i would want to own/ride.
I think that point about your bike is the story, the time you've put in to it.

It's not the destination.....
...........it's the glory of the ride
;)

P20":2oa2jwp1 said:
I think it would do well in a botm. Some of the bikes that have something other than flash paint or bling mechs. I've voted for a fairly standard but well presented rockhopper in the past, it was the bike i would want to own/ride.
I think that point about your bike is the story, the time you've put in to it.

It's not the destination.....
...........it's the glory of the ride
;)

I think the time put into it is what makes it

Apologies for the diversion, but is that a 90/91 clockwork (your mum's) ?
I have a soft spot for oranges. I used to have a clockwork around that era. I also had a dia-compe 986 rear brake on it like that one. Had logic cranks on it , but non-compact. They were someif the nicest finishesd cranks around IMHO.

raymondluxuryyacht":14yczj1g said:
Apologies for the diversion, but is that a 90/91 clockwork (your mum's) ?
I have a soft spot for oranges. I used to have a clockwork around that era. I also had a dia-compe 986 rear brake on it like that one. Had logic cranks on it , but non-compact. They were someif the nicest finishesd cranks around IMHO.

I tried dating the orange here : http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... orange+mum and there are also a few more pictures for you :D

Yes, the Ritchey cranks are nice - they are made my Sugino (as is the Specialized crank on the Orange) and just seem better cast with nicer polishing / coating than Shimano of the same era. They are almost as good behind the arms then they are on the front face, my Shimano ones were a bit rough in comparison, particularly around the back of the spider.

I haven’t managed to do much on the Marin but the THIRD bottom bracket has finally provided a half decent chain line :LOL:

I can’t speak highly enough off the lining as this is the third BB that has been in there, torqued up to Shimano's spec (seems high :? ) without even marking / cracking it :shock: :cool:

DSC04137.jpg

DSC04132.jpg

As a bonus the last bracket that came had a metal cup and not the poxy plastic one :cool:

The stem etc is all assembled now, I had the noodle powder coated at the same time as the frame so it matches :

DSC04127.jpg

I finally found some really nice USA flags for the frame so it now has a tiny winy bit of color on it – no pictures yet though :oops:

WD :D

Splatter Paint":2g8gthi8 said:
WD Pro - stunning build. If you want to check you ratios and calculated speed per given cadence, Sheldon Brown's site has a program for this. I have used it on my road bike when tinkering with the gears. See:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Thanks for the comment and link :D

I have tapped by numbers in and there are small differance but close enough for me to be in the right ball park :D

Yet more great attention to detail. The paint looks great close up.

Your levels of patience are incredible, Keep the good work and updates coming.

Thanks for the info. It's definitely a 92 clockwork. I knew that cable routing looked familiar. I had a 90 then a 92. By the way, the metal bottom bracket cups are fine unless the bbc corodes then plastic is so much easier to remove. Not that there will ever be corosion on your BV!

ive just gone through this start to finish and im well impressed.
i love how youve made your own bits, if only i had a lathe.

Back