Marin Bear Valley.

brocklanders023

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Here's my latest Ebay win. It was a bit of an impulse buy but I thought I'd take the chance for £45 as it was pick up only from York and I was near by today. :roll:

I think it's a 1992, but it may be a 1991 :? :? :? Any help would be great. It's got some non standard gear but I'm not looking to completly refurb it so I'll see how I get on. The front wheel was missing from the listing but the seller had it in his shed minus the QR. Spec as follows:

Frame- Marin Bear Valley 19" CBB to Top.
Forks- Marin Rockstar.
Stem- Girvin Flexstem.
H Bars- Marin Lite
Cranks- Shimano M400.
Canti's- Shimano M454.
R Mech- Shimano 400LX
F Mech- Shimano ???
Wheels- Shimano Exage hubs on Araya rims.
Pedals- Shimano LX.
Levers + shifters- Shimano DX (with a 100GS r/h shifter :? )
Saddle- Vetta Gel.

Plenty to do to it but the frame's not in the worst nick ever so no respray. Should keep me busy. :D

It looks odd as it has the thinner seatstays which ended in 1990 (also the pale Zolatone, which I think also ended that year and went to a charcoal colour).

The top tube graphics are later (maybe 1995/96 ish?) and the forks should have Marin along the leading edge not the side.

So my guess is a 1990 with later decals. Check the frame number to be sure - there's a thread somewhere here.

hmm it definately not a 91, because the decals are different, and not a 92 because its the wrong colour.

it looks like a 1990 with '92 decals (same as mine)

mine needed a whole load of work doing, rust is quite an issue, most of the parts were unusable and a respray is in order.

£ 45 does seem pretty good.

here a cat scan i found from 1992....... and my poor example

sean s

Attachments

• 3_973[1].jpg
    3_973[1].jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 2,281
  • marin_219[1].jpg
    marin_219[1].jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 2,281
Dr.Robotnik":uxxm2ljp said:
Um is it just me or are the forks bent back?

probably just the camera angle

also i noticed that the 1992 marin rockstar decal is in the wrong place

what size is the steerer (diameter) ?? :)

the 92 and i think the 91 as well both had 1 1/8 steerer :)

It'll build up into a nice bike. When you strip the frame back you will see immaculate welds.

I've toured 1000's of miles on an identical frame I've owned for 18 years.

Right then... Me and my pal have spent the afternoon trying to date it and I think we're in agreement with you lot. :cool:

The conclusion is that it's a '90 that the original owner has done up around '92. The rear triangle is not the 'Afterburner' type and it's got a 1" headset (I think). My friend had a '90 Palisades BITD and got a load of Marin Lite parts around '92. My guess is that this has happened here (forks, bar, bar ends). The owner has also gone for some '92 decals although a few of the '90 ones are left on. :? :LOL: The paint is darker then the others in the '90 range but I seem to remember that being the case for the BV? Bit of a mix and match but it'll be fun messing about with it. :D

Anyone got a copy of the '90 decals and the spec sheet (cat scans only go back to '91 on the site)? I'll get hold of Gil but I understand some others have early Marin decals on file ;) :?:

I hope the seller passed my number on :D

I asked them if they would as if you split the bike I would be VERY interested in the fork to replaced my damaged threads :(

I am pretty sure its a 90 and the fork is 1" threaded as everything is identical to how mine was - rear stays etc. The only differance I can see is that your brake cable runs on the right side of the top tube - mine is on the left.

The comments about the weld quality are spot on - I have yet to see a 'run of the mill' cro mo frame with welds as neat :

DSC04137.jpg

DSC03607.jpg

Have fun :D and let me know about the forks ;)

WD :D

Right then, bit of an update.

I've fully striped the Bear Valley down and have been pleasently suprised by the condition of some of the bits once cleaned up. Took a lot of degreasing but once built back up I think it'll turn out well.

My plans are to autosol the shiny bits, re spray the forks and other black bits, and get some new decals. I'm trying to keep costs right down as my Orange collection takes up far too much cash as it is! Once everything is cleaned and painted I'll put it back together and get a full new set of cables.

Can anyone recommend some retro looking h/bar grips that are cheap? ;) Also, do any of you have either a r/h DX shifter pod or period 400/500 LX STI units you want to sell?

Before any smart ar*e says my house looks like a building site, it is! :LOL: :LOL:

Back