The Titanium WTB Phoenix Thread: calling those in the know

purplewicked":1ubi8u67 said:
GoldenEraMTB":1ubi8u67 said:
purplewicked":1ubi8u67 said:
GoldenEraMTB":1ubi8u67 said:
Thanks for the link, Uno. Might take you up on the offer from the other thread, pm me with what you had in mind for a price.

Noah, cool pic, you're affiliated with Sid's?
Since you mentioned that you see one everyday, back in that ebay thread where I stated here's something you don't see everyday, I had to get one. Now it looks like it's happening...just hope it isn't too large, as I see that everyone rides what looks to be a smaller frame with a longgg seatpost, but I understand that's the way it was sized and meant to be ridden.

Should've done a bit more research, but I had to act quick if I wanted the WTB variety.

Do you guys mind posting your sizes, specs, setups, and such?

I'm going over to the vrc to check out that thread.

there is sizing info from WTB on an old catalogue. I am sure i saw it on the web..
you don't size a phoenix from seat tube.

The catalog is difficult to make out, (blurry); if you know of a better copy scanned somewhere, please link.

regarding the seat tube and sizing of a phoenix, I gathered that, just a bit late.

bushpig will have all that info. i am sure.

cool, thanks. Any other owners or enthusiast are also welcome to post to this thread, as I'm sure it can be of some use to me, or someone else. Thanks

read the thread over on vrc. cool read with lots of pics, but not much in the way of resources...though I did find out that many on the thread have enjoyed breakfast with Steve Potts ;)

There was one issue in the vrc phoenix thread that didn't really get followed up, and that was of the phoenix pic quoted by bushpig of the one with tappered stays. bp stated that the phoenix ti did not come with tappered stays.

another poster later posted that it was sandvick (sp?) that had the tappered stays.

can anyone give me a bit more clarity on this???

I'm concerned I might have picked up a fake Phoenix Ti :?

purplewicked":2tmgl2ud said:
bushpig":2tmgl2ud said:
I race my Ti Phoenix. Great bike. I use Groovy Ti Luvs too.

tight lycra and transparent goggles don't do a man justice. :cool: :shock:

to the OP: BP KNOWS wtb.. listen to him.

hell you say :p

So far I know he races his phoenix and his Groovy Ti Luv as well.

;)

seriously, BP, did you ever get a satisfactory answer on the tapered or non-tapered chainstays or sandvik/non sandvik?

I've also posted this question on the phoenix thread over on mtbr vrc as well if you prefer to answer there.

The seller that I bought my phoenix Ti from has been excellent, and I don't want anyone to infer that I believe he has been anything but honest. These things happen, but I want to be clear.

here's a copy of my post over on the vrc phoenix thread:
[
bushpig said:
What is the the deal with the taper chainstays on the top Ti phoenix? I've not seen those on a Ti.

datenschwanz said:
the taper chain stay on the ti one is the sandvik chain stay, from what i've been told.

:madman: help please.

I just picked up a Phoenix Ti, and need some clarification on this issue brought up in this thread, but not really clarified.

So does the Ti Phoenix come with tapered chain stays or not? Does it come with both tapered and non-tapered? Is there such thing as a non-steve potts built Ti Phoenix or replicas/knock-offs floating around out there?

any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused

bp's phoenix doesn't have tapered chain stays, but this phoenix ti on the black mountain cycle blogspot does have tapered chainstays:
http://blackmountaincycles.blogspot.com ... oenix.html

and here

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/i1 ... bedwebsite

Answered at VRC too. The bikes came with taper and non-taper stays. Even thought the Phoenixes (Ti and Steel) were "production bikes" they were all made by Steve Potts. Consequently, there are quirky differences - not just with the stays but even with the seat tube diameters.

The scanned catalog isn't so clear but, especially if you print it out, it is readable. I will check if I have a hard copy of the catalog at home. It would be nice to make a better scan.

I got my bike way too dirty this weekend.

dirty-penix-2.jpg

bushpig":jmw19kvf said:
Answered at VRC too. The bikes came with taper and non-taper stays. Even thought the Phoenixes (Ti and Steel) were "production bikes" they were all made by Steve Potts. Consequently, there are quirky differences - not just with the stays but even with the seat tube diameters.

The scanned catalog isn't so clear but, especially if you print it out, it is readable. I will check if I have a hard copy of the catalog at home. It would be nice to make a better scan.

I got my bike way too dirty this weekend.

and there it is; good to know. Thanks BP!
I actually like the tapered chain stays.

Being an avid forum reader and a bit paranoid is a volatile combination. I lost sleep over this last night. The seller was really cool about the whole thing, and pointed me towards Steve Potts email.

phew :)

now if I only had bought it the right size :oops:
it should work though since I'm a bit of a freak with a really long wingspan, despite my shorter height...I hope.

purplewicked":19vu5986 said:
tight lycra and transparent goggles don't do a man justice. :cool: :shock:

oh is that what that is? i thought someone played a nasty prank on him and took a red crayon to his face while he was sleeping! :LOL:

sorry, i just couldn't resist commenting. :oops:

GoldenEraMTB":1dsimftq said:
it should work though since I'm a bit of a freak with a really long wingspan, despite my shorter height...I hope.

if it doesn't fit,..let me know ;)

Defiant":1lufr38i said:
GoldenEraMTB":1lufr38i said:

if it doesn't fit,..let me know ;)

hmmm, what size is your Fat Ti?

;)

besides, don't you have enough titanium in your stable.

I'm a Fat Chance east coast guy through and through, but I always wanted one west coast bike, and a Potts built frame with some Cunningham influence should do nicely...I'm looking forward to riding it; it will be my first time riding such a frame. Come to think of it; it's also my first Titanium mountain bike...I think.

Back