GT Tempest (Moto style)

Wold Ranger

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Just thrown this together, not too common in 12.5 size Billet finish, model is Tempest, but weighes 3.7 pounds so pretty light, handles well, bit small for me, but with the lay back post works really well, needs decals and a tidy on some specs and weighes a not too shabby 22.5 pounds.
The pix are on my expensive and accurate bathroom scales. They cannot be tared, but the box weighes 400g and yes none of the bike is on the floor! So the bike weighes 10.3Kg. It weighed 10.25 on LBS scales, bear in mind it has a 350g saddle 270g seat post 100g skewers and 350g cassette and 260g Saint rear mech, so another 350g could be shaved easily, I feel its pretty light, the XTR front mech, Syntace 90g stem and Easton 100g bars do help a lot though. Tyres are 400g Hutchinson Mosquitos and tubes 90g Supersonics, hubs: white industries which are very light, BB is Race Face Titanium. Thumbies are light too.
GT003-1.jpg

Classic001.jpg

Classic003.jpg

GT

Would like to upgrade to more period parts, namely seatpost, grips and stem but all the rest pretty much fits. It's a really good climber being light and despite being 6061 Alloy, the shallow seat stays make it quite forgiving to ride. The Fork angle is spot on with very precise steering. I think I'll gradually upgrade the parts, interestingly the frame weighes the same as a Zaskar Le I had in this size, which is a bit confusing!

GT

Just been for a spin on it and a bit shocked at how well it both climbs and descends, as its only got a 40 inch wheelbase, but it's very stable, the Hutchinson tyres help a lot with their slow rebound damping, so you don't bounce around much.
The RC 36 forks always astound at their ability to absorb hits too, you would think they were 100mm or more travel, they really damp out the trail well.

Lovely job Philip, glad I sold it now had sat in the garage for many years as a project for my wife.

GT

To be honest it warrants some better kit really, a better wheelset and King headset? Thanks, it really is a nice ride. My youngest will be riding it too if the weather continues like this!

i built one of those up in that size for my brother in laws boy its not a bad bike for him he's 12 now and im slowly converting him to trials and away from his friends dirt jump crap kitted his with m950 xtr and it weights just over 25lbs with ritchey wcs wet look finishing kit and hope xc/717 wheelset :cool:

I just love this, I've been a bit unsure of these little GTs in the past but this looks great - functional but elegant too. Showed it to my 12 year old daughter earlier and she has given me the go ahead to look for one of these frames for her. Next project I think.
I've seen three of your bikes now Phil and they all look beautiful.

Latest posts

Back