how to spot a 531 frame

on some frames under the paint, you'll find 'reynolds' or '531' stamped onto the bare metal of the main tubes - otherwise it can be a long guessing game.

ok thanks still learning .its just i have stripped this french frame and looks very nice its got all the measurements of all parts stamped on the tubes . thinking it was for easy reference in the factory its all brazed too

sean g":2x3j68lk said:
ok thanks still learning .its just i have stripped this french frame and looks very nice its got all the measurements of all parts stamped on the tubes . thinking it was for easy reference in the factory its all brazed too

More info, pics and details please! If it's French it could be Vitus tubing, they made steel tubing as well.

It's not really possible to tell from the frame or tubes itself. Age and manufacturer might give you an idea but even a 531 sticker isn't 'proof'.

terryhfs":2dg7t105 said:
It's not really possible to tell from the frame or tubes itself. Age and manufacturer might give you an idea but even a 531 sticker isn't 'proof'.

My Peugeot had reynolds stamped on the tubes in tincy tiny lettering but not seen it since on anything else

legrandefromage said:
My Peugeot had reynolds stamped on the tubes in tincy tiny lettering but not seen it since on anything else

whereabouts was it stamped? I'm thinking of stripping the paint off my mystery frame

TW85":30h2f4j3 said:
legrandefromage":30h2f4j3 said:

whereabouts was it stamped? I'm thinking of stripping the paint off my mystery frame

by the head tube.

Back