The 'Introduce Yourself Here' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
hes lucky then, only 250 of the steel back end billys were made. I sourced yogrant one last year, but he sold it :(
webbys still got 1. picks of his on the SSMM retro meet last summer :)

hey...

first up and easiest, I'm sure darn glad I came across this site!

bikes I've got?

a '93 Explosif that was converted to singlespeed with Paul's dropouts by Chas Roberts, pretty much nothing original left :(

a '93 Explosif that is all original bar the saddle, tires and grips (oh, and the chainset, but that was swapped out for correct vintage XT, so I figure it's okay!) - technically this is my partner's bike, but she'd like a Nicolai which for some reason makes me think of the Kona as my own.

ooh, a side note on the chainset, I think I bought it (and an XT wheel) off someone here... my eBay name is Mok73, fwiw!

a Carlton '10' which is now a Carlton '1' thanks to the addition of the shoddiest rear wheel and freewheel ever made. it's more liability than bike...

what I think I'd like now is a Ritchey Commando homage built by Robin Mather... I haven't put this to him yet, but sometime soon I think I'll be asking. Fingers crossed he says yes!

also quite liking the Potts that's on eBay at the mo, may stick a sneaky bid in for that too!

and wow, favorite bike seen on this site so far is February's bike of the month... just lovely!

the basics covered in bullet point form, cheers all!

Makrie

Well come to the site, how did you find us :?:

Sounds like a fine collection ... get those Konas posted up in reader's bikes

Hi. Thought it might be nice to introduce myself (in a retro Faith No More way).
Got into mountain bikes after my roadbike and I had an unfortunate coming together with a parked Mini (a proper one not a BMW), it was terminal for bike and car and I still have the scars.
Bought a bike I belive to be a 1990ish Specialized Stumpjumper or Rockhopper, from a school mate.
After 3 years of bent seatposts decided that it was too small (not that I was too fat) and purchased a 94 Yo Eddy frame in about 96 from a college chums landlord. Best buy I ever made not that it was cheap but what a great bike!
Next decided that a susser was where it was at and having seen large amounts of fatigue failed aluminium as part of my work I settled on a 95 Specialized FSR Team S Works as a relatively safe bet. Good fun and has anybody noticed how the stiction from the Fox Alps4 shock gives the same ride as the brain shock on the early (21st century) Epics?
Moving on, a 2000ish Dekerf Limited edition UK only was my next frame. Has anybody else had problems with this frame? The seat tube was over reamed and the disc mount appears to be poorly positioned. Looking from the side of the bike the front bolt hole is too low (I.S. mount) tipping the caliper forwards to the point that the outer edge of the disc rubs the top of the slot in the caliper (Mono mini), you can get away with Formula B4s though. The seat tube may not have been over reamed at manufacture as like all my bikes I bought it second hand.
Then had to get a road bike but by then the retro bug had bitten and I got a 91 Specialized Allez Epic. Yep one with the BB shell still glued to the frame.
It would be a shame to grind all that nice kit up in the winter so I had to get a 92 Kona Cindercone as my winter bike equiped with any old Shimano kit that I try not to sully any of my other bikes with.
In build at the moment are a GT Edge cyclocross frame in Reynolds 853 and a 92 Merlin Ti mountain bike frame bought from a splendid fellow who bought it new and toured the US on it having a Chris King headset fitted at the factory (the one without the lazer etched logos) and his Manitou forks fettled in Doug Bradburys garage by the big man! Top hobnober!
Well thats the lot and I still have them all. Its nice to be amongst like minded loonies!

The site came along while I was searching the web for info on old Ritcheys - and then the great photo on the front at the moment (February bike of the month) hooked me for sure!

Forgot I also used to have a Marin Bobcat Trail - I think it was made from the scaffold poles rejected by scaffolders as being too heavy!

I'll try to get some photos next weekend, there are some great ones already on the site!

Hey guys, I finally made it over here. :D

I think I need a few less hobbies. :LOL:

Good to see this community growing and getting a good audience. It's exciting to see sites like this, fatcogs.com and yetifan.com doing well. I'm excited to build the new oldschoolmtb.com, too, to be a sister/companion community to this one. I should have the rest of the graphics installed by the end of the weekend, but the new forum is up and running.

I have a feeling that I'm going to be wasting a lot of my day over here now, too. :D

doug

Doug Carter":3kwzk0wv said:
Hey guys, I finally made it over here. :D

I think I need a few less hobbies. :LOL:

Good to see this community growing and getting a good audience. It's exciting to see sites like this, fatcogs.com and yetifan.com doing well. I'm excited to build the new oldschoolmtb.com, too, to be a sister/companion community to this one. I should have the rest of the graphics installed by the end of the weekend, but the new forum is up and running.

I have a feeling that I'm going to be wasting a lot of my day over here now, too. :D

doug

Welcome to the site Doug :D

Look forward to seeing oldschoolmtb growing.

John

hi.

I'm not really bobbydavro but have just bought a 1996 Kona Explosif frame that i plan to make like my last on that was stolen when i was a lad.

How goes!

bobby davro! I used to see him a lot when I lived in walton on thames. including my most fluke moment ever... passing my driving test ;)
welcome to the site :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back