Pace RC100 timeline

Just thought I'd drag up this thread as it's such a cool one.

With regards the plastic chain guard, my one (chris' old one) has the two holes for the guard on it and that's number 241. I think the problem with these features is that they appear sporadically dependent on the parts available or the builder. It's a bit like my Fat Chance Ti that doesn't have a tooth-pick on it even though ones before and ones after do

The Trials frame is probably not a very early bike as the decals are basically ones from an RC100 T just swapped round, also the Bullseyes are the later versions without the scalloping on the spider of the early ones on the 88/89 bikes- maybe an employee frame from around 1990?

Retrobikeguys scan of the spec sheet shows the hierarchy of RC100s which I'd totally forgotten about:

RC100S, RC100LE and RC100T:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... light=pace

The thing that the spec sheets show is something that is often forgotten - that Pace offered a choice of colours - Grey and Yellow, or Grey and Black. Also that Suntour was not the only option with Campag and a special mix of Pace parts featuring.
These spec sheets also shows that by the time this spec sheet was out they were moving over to Renthal alloy bars (not RC130s yet) rather than the Renthal double butted steel ones. Both these bars were shimmed cut down lighter weight versions of the motocross ones.

Can you guess what I've been building up recently....?

Looking forward to seeing that one Pete...Pace also did a grey and red version of the RC100 as per Raymond Mole's bike...

Rich ;)

Rich":gwtyzjx8 said:
Looking forward to seeing that one Pete...Pace also did a grey and red version of the RC100 as per Raymond Mole's bike...

Rich ;)

One week and counting til the reveal!

Just revisiting this thread after seeing Drew's early 89 bike. I note that that Bibby's bike is listed elsewere as having a sub 100 frame number- and therefore considered to be the oldest we have on record. I'm unsure about this as all RC100s started at 100. Drew's bike has all the early design features and the machining if the reliefs in the tube are less refined and a little untidy. It's undoubtably a very early bike and very original too having the shimmed steel Renthals. It also has the pearl effect finish on forks, stem and cranks.

I would like to have another look at Bibby's Pace to look for the signs of early production. My own suspicion is that it as later frame numbered out of sequence. I kinda remember chatting to Bibby and he said it was purchased new with RC35 forks too- they came out in 1991.

Was it only the prototype (RC101) that had the plastic portage strap fitted?? No sign of any mountings on RC103.

Also of note, my own frame (261) also has mounts for the anti chain such device on the chainstay bridge.

Dr S":3jz70k7d said:
It also has the pearl effect finish on forks, stem and cranks

Mine looked like that as well, before I re-sprayed them yellow!!

If Drew decides to re-spray his fork legs (ie coloured matched), I'll get mine re-done as well.

Also mine has a hole for a cotter pin through the bullseye cranks, which is missing from Drew's.

Reckon that one in the Madison catalogue was a prototype and they never actually released it with the plastic strap.

Any chance of a pic of this cotter pin?

The cotter pin is likely to be a later modification to stop the crank working loose, something they do with tiresome regularity. I've seen a few efforts to stop this happening including the use of QR skewers. If it was a factory mod I would think they would have continued doing it had it worked.
I guess when it comes to the early bikes there would be no two bikes the same. Drew's bike is really interesting as it looks to be 100% original. I'm going to pop round next week and get some detailed photos of it.

Dr S":3vpsycd4 said:
Any chance of a pic of this cotter pin?.

I can show you the hole! When I got the cranks re-sprayed Dave Yates\M Steels, they tossed it in the Bin!! I was f'ing furious.

I'm now using ends caps with a rod through the middle, works a treat, no play in the cranks and the left crank stopped falling off!!

I noticed Drew’s had a little play in the cranks.

I'm also going to put my original maguras back on.

Drew's bike is quality; it’s just how I remember seeing it for the first time in Northumbrian bikes :)

Back