1999 Team "suck it" Kona Explosif

GearlessinSeattle

Senior Retro Guru
So since I have lost my job I have had a lot of free time on my hands.
So.....what does one do, besides look for another job, but go into the man cave late at night and come out in the morning with something new.
I finished this last night.
I bought the frame and fork and had it powder coated before the axe fell. The rest of the parts I have had "laying" around except for the wheelset.
The wheelset I had built about 6 years ago for a Brodie Unibomber that I picked up cheap. I sold the Brodie frame to a friend and sold the wheelset to a fellow for $250. About 2 months ago I bought the wheelset back from the fellow that bought them from me for only $125. They showed up on graigslist and I jumped on them. He never even used them after he got them from me, they just sat in his basement. Crazy.
Anyway, the frame came togather nice.
Altec Brake Levers
Paul Motolite Brakes
King Headset
Thompson Stem and Post and Fizik Gobi(off my Hot,but that will be another post:)
Kenda Neve's
Raceface Turbine and Real Chainring
White Industries Dos 16-18 Freewheel
I will be riding it this afternoon and so will update to let you all know how it goes.

Attachments

• _MG_5537_1.JPG
    _MG_5537_1.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 3,844
  • _MG_5543_1.JPG
    _MG_5543_1.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 3,844
  • IMG_5535_1.JPG
    IMG_5535_1.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 3,844
Well, I was going to use a F instead of the S but thought better of it. :D
Team "Suck It" is an inside joke as to the fact I lost my job plus it was my team name this past CX season. Sorry if it offends anyone out there, but it adds a little humor to an otherwise humorless situation plus I am still waiting on Gil to get back to me about some new Kona decals. :D

I'm not easily offended personally, I just feel the bike deserves a wee bit more than that as it's simply a gorgeous build.

How are you liking the White Industries Double freewheel? I have one on order at my lbs arriving soon. Seems like a great idea. Do you find yourself needing to switch it occasionally? Great looking build! I think the Suck It decals are rather funny.

I have the "Dos" Freewheel on 3 of my bikes and have been using WI freewheels for about 6 years now and would never use anything else. They are kinda like Chris King headsets to me. Nothing else comes close.
As far as switching the gearing, on both my CX race bike and the "suck it" Kona I will switch depending on the course. If there is going to be a lot of climbing then the big gear, if not the smaller. You just have to make sure the chain is long enough or short enough to switch.
I think you'll like it.

Great. I'm really looking forward to getting it. I have a lot of rocky technical climbing to do where I live, but would hate to have to switch wheels in order to ride on a flatter trail. I'll update my Bontrager post when I get it.

Very nice..colour is lovely

I'm not keen on the decals either...IMO F-it would have been more appropriate :D

Back