M steel Gosforth ...Campagnolo ... What have i brought ??

Jonnyboy

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Well im after a bit of advice on what what bike i have here & any impho on it would be very welcome.
Im green around the gills when it comes to road bikes but Ive fancied one for a while & saw this outside a shop at my sort of price & i couldn't resist.
It looks to be hardly used & has 531 decals on the F&F but it also has Campagnolo stamped on the cable guide & columbus on the rear dropout :?

I have read a bit about the connection between Dave Yates & Gosforth bikes ..... can anyone shed any light on this bike , Any thoughts how old it might be ??

Thanks in advance

IMG_5333.jpg

IMG_5332.jpg

IMG_5331.jpg

IMG_5330.jpg

IMG_5329.jpg

M Steel, Dave Yates are from the same frame building workshop in Gosforth. MSteel had a reputation for building the Rolls Royces of touring bikes. Dave Yates was usually on MTBs, although the great man himself now lives in East Anglia and largely builds tourers these days.

It looks to me to be late 1980's. It will be a great all-rounder as it has mudguard eyes nad enough space for guards in the winter. A perfect machine for long days in the saddle. Ridden a century yet? It's the perfect machine for it.

You have a wonderful bike built with great attention to detail....enjoy. I'm jealous!
...and if you are ever selling... ;)

They made frames under the name "Joe Waugh" brand as well. Very, very tidy and perfectly aligned frames. They peaked in the 80's and 90's with several national records to their name. Dave went separate ways in 2005, moving his frame business to Lincolnshire.

Lovely little bike, enjoy it!

Joe Waugh was a top road racer in the 80's until he was involved in a serious accident which nearly crippled him. Took him a while to get better but never really rode a bike again in anger. A great pity all round.

Thanks for the replies esp Hamster, great to know it is regarded so high ..... It looked a quality bike to me but as i say I'm new to all this..... I thought it might be early 90s but to find it is an 80s bike is even better ... The seat is dated 87 underneath so i guess it all ties in.
Need to get a longer stem on it as it feels a bit short at the moment but im only 5ft 8in anyway so i don't need a big bike.

Me = V happy :D

Latest posts

Back