My 96 Bontrager Privateer Comp-Restoration

bikewright

Dirt Disciple
This is a project that I completed about a year 1/2 ago. I had been wanting to do it since I got the bike in 97-98. This is a 1996 Bontrager Privateer Comp (Post-Trek).It was a full XT build and back in the day ran $1699.00. I received the Frame,Fork and Seat Post from the Bontrager rep. Since the time I got it the paint poped off the chain stays and other places on the frame.

I got the interest to do something with the bike other then hanging on the wall. So I needed to pull all the parts off the bike and find someone to paint the bike. I found a guy on my local MTB Fourm that did some frame painting on the side. This is a re-spray.

I could not find any Bontrager decals for this bike and I tried two online bike decal companies. One did not provide the service and the other would never email or call me back. But I did find a sign shop down at FT Pickett where I work that could do the work and It took about a week to get it done. Learning point number one. Better to take the bike to the sign shop first so they can get all the sizing correct, my mistake.

The paint job is better looking than when I got the frame brand new. The red stripes are hand painted and what a great job. Since it is a re-spray it does get nicked -up just a little.

Ordered a Walt Works ridget fork. 405mm axle to crown and 32mm rake with tapered blades.

Here is the build list:

96 Bontrager Privateer Comp frame 18"
Paint by Vince
Decals by sign shop at FT. Pickett
Face & chase of the BB and headtube-CED
Crank- old Bontrager 8 speed
Chain Stay- Carbon IRD
Front D- Old top pull XT
Rear D- Old 9.0 ESP 8 speed
Wheels- Cane Creek Used
Front Fork- Custom steel Waltworks
Headset- 1"Black Chris King
Stem- 1" Kelly
Bar- Ritchey WCS Raiser
Brakes- Avid 7's with FR 5 Levers
Shifters- NOS 9.0 ESP 8 speed
Grips- WTB Dual Compound
Housing- Jagwire Black
Seat Clamp- Salsa Black
Seat Post- Thompson
Saddle- NOS WTB SSK
Chain- Sram 8 speed

I have changed the grips out with Ergon.

Attachments

• P4090006.JPG
    P4090006.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,125
  • post-376-1200091823.jpg
    post-376-1200091823.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 1,125
  • post-376-1200083691.jpg
    post-376-1200083691.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,125
Contact Gil_m about the decals immediately. I'm not sure where you are in the world. Gil works out of a shop in the UK and if you are in Virginia in the U.S. then he will ship decals which will probably fit right over your current red paint. Although maybe do some measurements before hand. I think he qouted me 22 pounds shipped to the U.S. He makes decal replicas. As far as I can tell he has a great rapport with this forum. Good luck!

i think 99% of all the replacement decals on retrobike have been done by Gil_m lol

they are top notch repros well worth the money.

Latest posts

Back