Retro bikes in a non-retro world

gump

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Just a thought from the MTBR thread :?

Been out a few times on the old bikes, and sometimes get comments, so thought a quick thread would be good to see what the general reaction is..

- Parked up the Hammer on the Cannock BMX course and there were certainly a few confused looks. The cooks/sunsets/Fox combo really screwed this guy up. Speaking to him, he loved the bike and realised the decals were not period too which was impressive :)

Sounds like Jez had some comments from SSMM ... post them here!

I rode my Pace into a lbs and the teenager behind the counter said, "they were nice once, but I've seen too many of them snap", this was just before he treid to put a king headset in with a hammer.

I didn't shop there again.

Had a bizarre moment a couple of years back when I turned a corner in the woods to be confronted with the same year Rockhopper Comp as mine ('93) but a size up. Weird moment of symbiotic respect.

Never saw him again.

Wu-Tangled":3brnpd3t said:
Had a bizarre moment a couple of years back when I turned a corner in the woods to be confronted with the same year Rockhopper Comp as mine ('93) but a size up. Weird moment of symbiotic respect.

Never saw him again.

Are you sure someone didn't leave a big mirror leaning against a tree? ;)

last sunday during the recco ride for the 24th , we saw some nice Pace and Orange . people could not believe we were interested in them .

Got some comments riding the KHS around the big loop at Afan the other month....

First was " are you riding a rigid round here? Mad....."

Second from a guy on a modern full sus KHS "you dont see many rigid KHS bikes any more - how old is it?" when I told him it was 12 years old he asked why I wanted to ride such an old bike.....

I'm considered old fashioned and my regular riding partners all laugh in disbelief that my modern ride is a hardtail with v brakes and a 0 deg 120 stem and rigid forks. And we all go out and they are all riding discs and 100mm + travel forks and full sussers and I still keep up downwards (and try not to snigger as I go past upwards). :)

I was riding down something that the 'modern crowd' were walking up and they politely stopped to let me past. I was on the fully rigid zaskar. The only comment I heard was 'bloody hell!'

I've always found joy in out riding (especially out descending) modern high dollar bikes...especially the bling'ed out full sussys.

Last local race I was at I had a few people stop and take pictures.

I'm racing on vintage bikes all season this year. Why not. :cool:

Back