MM preparation - the countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
cchris2lou":1iss46l6 said:
i ll try to get some tesco ones too .

I'm using the tesco torches held on with jubilee clips, they're very good but the batteries don't last long at all, get some 2700mAh rechargeables to go in them. or Energizer Lithium cells.

The following is an extract from my road club weekly rides news letter, a few of us took in some of the Surrey Hills singletrack on Saturday:

He (that's me) was out side my place at 8.15 on his VERY pretty “retro” ridged Univega. Built up in true 1991 style. We made our way to Holmbury StMary’s & I was puffing & panting whilst being left in a very lean Tad’s wake from the start!

Flattering though this is it fails to point out that my bike is too big, or I am too small for it, and that the headset started to spontaneously disassemble itself after a few miles so I had to bail out and limp home. Also weighing in at a svelte 55kilos in full cycling kit is great for whistling up the hills but means I have very little space to hold any energy reserves and I have left the beer and meat pie portion of my training somewhat late. On the plus side I do have a lift to get there. :D

See you all at the weekend!

cchris2lou":2k7mfb8i said:
do they last at least one hour ?

They're *&^%$£" bright for about 45 minutes then good enough for an hour or so after that. It depends what batteries you put in them TBH. Put a set of fresh batteries in, turn them on and leave them on in the garden at night, go back after an hour and see if they're bright enough for what you want. I think you could easily do a lap on them.

If you have trouble getting hold of them, there's a Tesco pretty much opposite my parents, I can pick some up when I'm back there if you want.

I'll bring a spare HID light should anyone need one, its plenty powerful enough and has a long battery life (if a tad bulky). Only suspect item is that the lamp holder may get a bit loose in use, I ended up gaffer taping it down at the recent ser2rise as it kept on shining in my face not the trail :shock:

I'd be using it myself but saw a Hope 4 led going cheep (ish...) on ebay and fancied a more lightweight unit for normal night rides.

thanks guys .

i am picking one up this morning . one hour should be enough :?

i still have my electron set .

Finally got the 'Mayhem Machine' up and running yesterday and took it for a shakedown in the hills. Its been a while since I rode a retro bike and last night was reminded that...

1. MAG 20s are flexible and should be ashamed to call themselves suspension.
2. Canti brakes really aren't that great.
3. NOS 1992 skinwall tyres might look great, but grip is pitiful.

Thoroughly enjoyed the ride though and was very impressed with the climbing ability and (after I got used to sliding the front wheel again) the descending.

On another note... weather forecast looks OK too :)

Bring on the Malverns!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back