1993 Kona Explosif, Finished!! 07.07.09

mayco

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I stumbled across this site looking for a bike to do the London to Brighton on back in Jan 2009. I found an already sold 1994 Kona Lava Dome, and the memories of my old bike came flooding back, I had to have another Kona! So, with thanks to 'mousemat' i received my first project a month later.
This is the spec so far after months of searching for the right parts. I'm not that fussed on keeping it completely to the factory spec but as long as it looks and rides like a Kona i'll be happy for my first build. I hope i do the bike justice! It's not going to be ready for the LTB ride but who cares anymore!
Thanks to all the people from whom i've received parts, This is a great site with a load of nice honest people.
I'll update this thread as i progress.

Frame: Custom Tange Prestige tubeset
top tube: Ultimate Ultralight
downtube: Ulitmate Utrastrong (externally ribbed)
seatube: Concept, rear triangle: Concept
Fork: Kona Project 2 Triple Butted

Headset: Joe Murray Impact Black
Stem: Joe Murray Velocity
Handlebar: Kona Race Light 165
Grips: Modern Kona Race lite
Barends: X-lite stubbies

Brakes: Dia-Compe 987 (NOS)
Brake Pads: Dia-Compe or Kool Stop Eagle 2
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Dia-Compe (NOS)
Brake Levers: Dia-Compe SS5 (NOS)

Shifters: Shimano Deore XT Thumbies
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M735
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M735 Short cage
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano Hyperglide XT CS-M737 12-28 8 speed
Chain: SRAM
Cranks: Sugino Mighty XP
Crank Bolts: SRP USA
Chainrings: Sugino Super Shifter
Chainring bolts: –
Bottom Bracket: UN72
Pedals: DMR V8s

Skewers: Hope hex key
Rims: Mavic 231 Silver
Hubs: Hope
Nipples: Alloy
Spokes: Stainless
Tyres: Schwalbe Citty Jets 26 x 1.50
Tubes: –

Saddle: SDG Bel Air Ti (265g)
Seatpost: Kona Race Light 350mm (275g)
Seatpost Binder: Gusset

Attachments

• Wheels.JPG
    Wheels.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 8,841
  • Parts 2.JPG
    Parts 2.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 8,839
  • Parts 1.JPG
    Parts 1.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 8,840
  • Frame.JPG
    Frame.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 8,843
That's looking good. I'm impressed that you have found the correct 39cm a-c 1993 P2s, as they should keep the steering as sharp as it was designed to be. I think I'd be inclined to go with the Impact, the Velocity and the Ritchey post myself.

The only problem I can see there is that the steerer doesn't look long enough - Kona used to cut threaded steerers to 3.2cm longer than the head tube. Fingers crossed it's just a photographic effect.

Why did I sell that! :cry:

:LOL: Looks like it's coming on great, love to see it when it's finished!

In reply to Anthony, the forks are the original forks with the frame so they should be OK. ;)

Thank you all for your comments!
I'm going to stick with the Velocity stem and the Race light post, i did a test build with the Syncros but the Velocity won by a mile. Not sure about the impact headset though, everything else on this build is in such good condition the headset lets it down somewhat. I have a modern BBB headset that looks good while i'm looking for a Minty Impact!

Sorry to rub your nose in it mousemat, but it's a real looker when built!
I'll send you some pics when finished! The one that got away ay!

I'll keep you all posted.

Update 28 06 09

Hi all, just a quick update on the Explosif.
Just received it back from Bob Jacksons after waiting what seemed like and age. It's taken me most of today building it, taking it easy as it's my first project!

Now I know some of you are going to think it's sacrilege to disregard what many have said is the best paintwork of all Konas, and i know what i have chosen is not very original, but i love it. The pictures don't do it justice at all, it looks superb.
I went with a new colourway of the original decals, and apart from the hideous oversized pink project two decals on the forks i am really pleased. I'm going to source correct sized cut vinyl for these and send them back for another spray.

The Impact headset had a little tart up with some 'halfords gloss' and the result is better than I expected. I had a small setback when fitting the rear mech break off bolt, this took up almost and hour alone to get that 'freakin' spring back in place. I have no cables fitted and therefore no adjusting problems yet, however i have a feeling this maybe just around the corner.

I have hit a stumbling block with the cantis. I have the three holes on the forks to hold the springs, which i assume replaces the first nut with the hole. However, when i put the rest of the cantis on and screw the bolt home i have a gap the size on the removed nut. which i know is wrong.
Could someone give advice on this.

See below for some updated pics and forgive me for yet another white Kona. I'll update this thread with my progress and hopefully soon a finished bike.

All comments welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_4341.JPG
    IMG_4341.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 8,528
  • IMG_4345.JPG
    IMG_4345.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 8,527
  • IMG_4342.JPG
    IMG_4342.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 8,528
  • IMG_4343.JPG