Grifter and Bomber

Oooooh, would love a Grifter XL. I wrote off my best mates Grifter BITD attempting a jump that was clearly out of my league. I'd love to be able to present him with a replacement now after about 25 yrs :)

JohnH":amp41uxw said:
Wasn't there a 'junior' version of the Grifter... was it called the Raleigh Boxer?

Smallest to largest, I think it was Raleigh Striker, Boxer then Grifter? I seem to remember the Strikers being yellow, the Boxers blue and Grifters red, but I'm sure that was just down to the kids that lived near me than some limited choice of colurs.

I'd totally forgotten about the shifter window and those bloody handlebar grips on the Grifter. It always felt like such a massive bike, it's a bit disappointing when you see how wee they are now :(

JohnH":1xvo6qmi said:
That saddle, though... I think that Raleigh must have changed that as they updated the Grifter. I seem to remember that the original saddle was a huge chunk of foam.

The Grifter is completely standard, the saddle is correct for a Grifter XL. It is still a HEAVY bike, much heavier than the bomber. All the weight of the Grifter is to the rear so will pop wheelies at will :D

JohnH":5c8boxol said:
Yeah, that's the one I'm thinking of! Do you remember the twist-grip gear shift with a little window to show you which gear you were in? You'd see either blue, yellow or red through the little opening to tell you which of the 3 gears you were in... (I'm gonna shut up now before I start rambling about those tubes of sherbet with the liquorice in the middle... :roll: )

Attachments

• 12062009128.jpg
    12062009128.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 2,810
  • 12062009127.jpg
    12062009127.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 2,810
Here is the bomber after a bit a clean up, went out for a cruise along the beach - could almost hear "Easy Rider" in my head! :cool:

Attachments

• 14062009141.jpg
    14062009141.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 2,807
  • 14062009142.jpg
    14062009142.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 2,807
  • 14062009140.jpg
    14062009140.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,807
Surely the Grifter is missing an essential accessory: the ripped piece of cardboard selotaped on the seat-stays for that badass moto sound... :cool:

(and those grips!!!! :shock: )

I think the XL is the best Grifter. As the adjustable bars and narrow seat give a better riding position.

Ive had a few Grifters. I got an XL at the local auction for £1. Fixed the mudguard stay and thrashed around on it for a couple of weeks. Sold it for £20. :LOL:

Still got a Grifter that Im supposed to be doing up. But havent done anything to it for months.

I want to restore the XL but think I'll wait until the winter, the decals are £30, might not sound like much but that is more than I paid for the bike! Still as it is all there, think that is pretty much all I'll need to spend, depending on how I paint the frame

yes decals can be expensive.

The Grifter I have now. I was wanting XL graphics for it.

It was a red Grifter originally.
I got stars and stripes stickers from ebay for a low price. There not supposed to be any good though.

Got 20" alloys on 3 speed hub. Raleigh Max forks. Alloy Sidepull front brake and a centrepull rear. With BMX bars in an SR BMX stem.

Have you seen the Grifter Forum on Aceboard.

Back